    itself to the default password. It also disabled MAC filtering. I once
    again had to set a new password and reenable filtering. Is that normal
    behavior for the router? Thanks.

    M.L., Sep 9, 2012

  2. M.L.

    Char Jackson Guest

    It's not normal for the router to perform a factory reset as a result
    of pulling the power plug, but once you mentioned the factory reset it
    became normal for the MAC filtering to revert to its defaults. Maybe
    the toddler abuse is more extensive than we know.

    Regarding MAC filtering, most people recommend disabling it. It does
    very little or nothing to stop hackers, so it's really not
    contributing a whole lot to your security.

    Char Jackson, Sep 9, 2012

  3. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    Thanks for your reply. We will be replacing the router when we can
    find a location to place it out of reach of the toddlers.

    How can hackers spoof an unknown MAC ID? I enabled the filtering to
    keep neighbors from innocently connecting. I doubt there are any
    hackers in the vicinity.

    M.L., Sep 10, 2012
  4. M.L.

    Char Jackson Guest

    There are tools available that show a person which MACs are
    successfully connecting to a given access point, so a hacker takes a
    look with a tool like that, makes a note of a working MAC, changes his
    own MAC to match, and Bob's your uncle.

    If you just want to keep the neighbors away, make sure your SSID is
    unique and use encryption.

    With a unique SSID, they won't connect accidentally.
    With encryption, they won't connect intentionally.

    Char Jackson, Sep 10, 2012
  5. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    Thanks for the info Char. I'll definitely change the SSID on our new
    router. There are no hackers in the vicinity so we'll use MAC
    filtering to keep neighbors out. Our WiFi range doesn't extend beyond
    our yards.

    M.L., Sep 10, 2012
  6. M.L.

    Char Jackson Guest

    Sounds good, though you might be surprised when it comes to usable
    range. A directional antenna can work wonders.

    Char Jackson, Sep 10, 2012
  7. M.L.

    carol123

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Why doesn't my Linksys router detect my internet?

    I have a WRT54G router that I have been using for the past year. All was fine until recently I reset my modem to prevent it from constantly disconnecting from the internet. The internet was never really working during the daytime, so after many times of disconnecting the modem for ten seconds, I decided to reset it. Now the internet works ALL of the time but I can't seem to set up my Linksys router to it, the router doesn't detect my internet. I have tried logging in with my dsl username and password but no luck. I have also tried reseting the router but I probably didn't do it properly.
    Details: At&t Dsl internet
    Linksys router and Linksys wireless G usb adapter
    Won't somebody help?

    carol123, Oct 9, 2012