    Does anyone have an explanation for this?
    Thank you,
    Claude

    croeltgen, May 10, 2005

  2. croeltgen

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Yes, the CP-5700 can not make use of the fastest cards. It own internal
    circuitry is the limiting factor, not the card. Though that is an
    improvement over what has been reported here in the past. Typical results
    where on the order of 20 sec to write one NEF raw file, no matter what
    card. IN my case an 8x or a 40xWA Lexar had the same write speed.

    Ed Ruf, May 10, 2005

  3. croeltgen

    croeltgen Guest

    Well, you confirm what I was thinking.
    It's a shame that the CP-5700 product description doesn't mention it's
    internal speed. Is there a web-site comparing this value, just in case
    I want to buy a new camera?

    Claude

    croeltgen, May 10, 2005
  4. croeltgen

    Ed Ruf Guest

    DPReview?

    Ed Ruf, May 10, 2005
  5. croeltgen

    croeltgen Guest

    No, unfortunately not.

    croeltgen, May 10, 2005
  6. croeltgen

    Ed Ruf Guest

    This is not going to help if as I stated previously the camera is the
    bottleneck. The only cameras reviewed are dslrs. This thread has been
    hashed around here for the Nikon 5700 a while ago. You can search the
    google groups archive for the thread.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, May 10, 2005
  7. Cameras are rarely capable of taking advantage of the fastest cards
    available the day they're released. They're almost *never* capable of
    taking advantage of even faster cards released later.

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 10, 2005
  8. Here is a comparison of CF write speeds but it's limited to high end
    cameras.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    "When a true genius appears in this world you may know
    him by the sign that the dunces are all in confederacy
    against him."

    Jonathan Swift
    1667-1745

    John A. Stovall, May 10, 2005
  9. croeltgen

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Most cameras can't take advantage of the speed of fast memory cards,
    although 0.7 MB/s is very slow.

    The Olympus 5050 for instance tops out at almost 3MB/s, the 5060 and
    8080 at about 0.9-1 MB/s. The Olympus 7070 is faster at 1.5 MB/s, while
    the E300 is currently the fastest camera on the market with 9 MB/s
    sustained write speed.

    If you check the dpreview reviews, in the file timings and sizes section
    you can usually find the max. write speed of each camera.

    Alfred Molon, May 10, 2005
  10. Oh, My 20D has no problems with the Extreme III's (in fact they are
    all I use in it).

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    Good cameras can take advantage of the fastest cards...

    John A. Stovall, May 10, 2005
  11. My Fuji S2 has no problems with the 80x Lexars, either -- but it
    doesn't write to them noticeably faster than to the 8x Lexars.
    You'll notice that Rob Galbraith's tests, in the very article you
    cite, show that the Canon 1Ds writes just over 2 MB/sec to a Lexar 80x
    -- and 1.9 MB/sec to a Lexar 40x. Whereas you Canon 20D writes 5.7
    MB/sec to the Lexar 80x. So, is the Canon 1Ds not a "good camera"?
    Or maybe, possibly, is my original claim that cameras rarely benefit
    from cards faster than were in existence when they were deisgned
    looking pretty good?

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 10, 2005
  12. croeltgen

    Leonard Guest

    Galbraith lists the 20D as managing 6MB/sec with the ExtremeIII,
    a card which is capable of more than twice that. The 20D is not
    even a year old yet.

    - Len

    Leonard, May 10, 2005
  13. I wouldn't use the ability to store images quickly to separate good
    cameras from bad. The Coolpix cameras can hardly be called bad.

    Oliver Costich, May 11, 2005

  14. On my wife's Coolpix 5400 and standard Sandisk card works at the same
    speed as with a Ultra II because the camera won't write any faster due
    to buffer size and write speeds. The difference on my D70 is
    significant

    Oliver Costich, May 11, 2005
  15. Nikon D2x can write at that speed, too - at least with Extreme III
    cards.

    Peter

    Peter Rongsted, May 11, 2005