Write-protect error on Flash memory card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Quiet Voice, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Quiet Voice

    Quiet Voice Guest

    Greetings!

    Recently while transfering photos off my flash memory card to my PC,
    the camera had a "hiccup". When I subsequently went to take a picture,
    I got an error message. Something about "media not present" or
    something like that. After doing some trouble shooting, I isolated the
    error to the memory card. I took the card to Ritz photo and asked the
    guy to put it in his store PC to examine it. When we did, it came up
    as "write protected". I examined the "Properties" of the card thinking
    I could simply de-select the write-protect option, but it was greyed
    out.

    Does anyone know if/how this can be changed and the memory card saved?

    Fortunately, the error occurred AFTER the pictures transfer was
    completed. So I didn't loose any photos. But if there's anyway to save
    the card I'd like to. They aren;t horribly expensive.....but stil, "a
    penny saved" and all that.

    Any and all advice appreciated!

    Thanx!

    Quiet Voice, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Quiet Voice

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Sounds like the file structure is corrupt..

    Have you tried formatting the card in the camera ??

    Jim Townsend, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Quiet Voice

    Guy Guest

    Secure Digital (SD) memory cards have a write protect switch.

    Guy, Sep 11, 2003