    We've got him on a WEP key until I can get out there to check it out,
    but assuming we're using Windows' zero-configuration, is this NIC
    specific?

    DevilsPGD, Nov 29, 2005

  2. DevilsPGD

    John and Pat Guest

    The obvious question would be, since the laptop in question has different
    hardware are you sure the wireless NIC (in that laptop) supports WPA?

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat, Nov 29, 2005

  3. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <1WQif.139259$> "John and Pat"
    I'm told it "should" (based on the fact that an apparently identical
    model does) -- However, isn't WPA software-only, does it require
    hardware?

    DevilsPGD, Nov 29, 2005
  4. DevilsPGD

    Ryan Younger Guest

    You need to check with your manufacturer. There are a number of (mainly pre
    2003) wireless adapters that do not support WPA at all, however some will
    support WPA via a firmware upgrade, so you should make sure you are using
    the latest revision.

    What make and model of wireless adapter is your customer using?

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 29, 2005
  5. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Ryan Younger"
    That one I can't tell you yet... All I know so far is that it's an older
    Dell laptop, but they apparently have two that are "identical" and one
    works, the other doesn't.

    I'll know more once I get to the site and can actually look up a model
    number and find out, but last I heard, WPA should be possible to
    implement entirely in software and shouldn't need any hardware support
    beyond what WEP requires, no?

    DevilsPGD, Nov 29, 2005
  6. DevilsPGD

    Ryan Younger Guest

    You will need to download a firmware update for your wireless adapter if it
    does not already support WPA (if the manufacturer has chosen to provide
    one).

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 29, 2005
  7. DevilsPGD

    John and Pat Guest

    Not from what I have read and understand. If the NIC supports it with a
    firmware upgrade then you are off and running. Keep in mind that it is also
    possible that the laptop which works may have had the firmware updated while
    the other laptop may not. But it is not strictly a software only issue. Both
    the hardware and software must support it.

    Click on this link and go to Wi-Fi certified products. The NIC in question
    will be listed with it's capabilities.

    http://www.wirelessethernet.org/OpenSection/index.asp

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat, Nov 29, 2005
  8. DevilsPGD

    Harry Hunter Guest

    I'm currently having a similiar problem.. I have a wireless network; 3Com G
    AP and a 3Com G pc card on my laptop. This works fine with WPA enabled.
    Recently I bought a new desktop pc with a wireless a/b/g internal card
    (WN5401A) It works fine only if I turn off network the encryption. I searched
    on google for the card and found it to be produced by Liteon. I also found it
    on http://certifications.wi-fi.org/wbcs_certified_products.php as WPA
    enabled.
    Hints anyone?

    Harry Hunter, Nov 29, 2005
  9. DevilsPGD

    Pavel A. Guest

    A hint: cheap somethimes costs more. Try the obvious steps: look for driver update,
    call their support (you've paid for it...)

    Pavel A., Nov 29, 2005
  10. DevilsPGD

    Harry Hunter Guest

    Thanks Pavel,
    However the problem was the router. I updated the 3Com router driver and now
    it everything works fine!

    Harry Hunter, Dec 1, 2005