WPA hotfix problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Got a desktop running XP SP2 and a laptop running XP SP1. Not keen to
    possibly mess up my wireless network (3com router, 3com wireless card in the
    laptop, wired link from router to the desktop) so I don't fancy installing
    SP2 on the laptop just yet. However as I understand it, SP2 or a hotfix is
    needed in order to take advantage of WPA (this I assume because that's the
    impression I get from reading about it and there is currently no option to
    use WPA in either windows wireless config or my hardware manufacturers
    config software on my laptop. The desktop however has the option to use it
    in the router config software - and the wireless card definitely supports
    it).
    So I installed a windows hotfix on the lappy which apparently adds WPA
    support in SP1. However - after installing said hotfix, the laptop runs
    slow, programs hardly ever open and as for connecting to the net via the
    wireless card - forget it. Had to uninstall to get my system back. Uninstall
    it and all is well - runs fine, connects, browses, network, internet, all
    the bells and whistles with 128 WEP.

    So - what's the deal ? Should my hardware manufacturers config software be
    giving the support for WPA or does windows itself need to have it in order
    for it to function ? Not clear on that. Any ideas how to add WPA support to
    SP1 which actually works and doesn't make my system run like it is chock
    full of goo ? (No spyware, no malware, no viri, no nuttin' on the laptop
    btw). Or do I have to bite the bullet and install the Feared SP2 on my
    laptop ?

    TIA for any ideas.

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Have you considered using MAC address filtering instead? If you always use
    the same computers on the network it might be better than trying to
    enforcing a protocol that isnt properly supported. Known as ACL (Access
    control list) in the 3Com router

    Start/Run ipconfig /all to see the physical (MAC) address for each network
    interface

    hth

    philip ashley

    philip ashley, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Aren't MAC addresses easy to spoof ? I had considered it but I often have
    friends come over with their laptops so WPA would be easier on the fly.

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Sep 25, 2004
  4. agreed that MAC filtering isnt foolproof on its own, just another layer of
    security.

    maybe not appropriate in your case anyway

    wpa adds an extra payload and i found some tweaking of the wireless
    interface helped a lot

    You could try setting the fragmentation and RTS/CTS thresholds a bit lower,
    that has considerably stabilised my connection. I set both of mine to 2304
    in the router and PCMIA laptop card.

    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1468331

    hth

    philip ashley