    Pls let me know.

    Thanks
    Kim

    kimshapiro100, Aug 23, 2006

  2. kimshapiro100

    Lena Guest

    do a Google search for reviews on Vonage, VoiceWing and CallVantage,
    all with $24.99 plans. I believe you will find more satisfied
    customers with the VW and CV service. There are many other VOIP
    providers with deceptively looking "cheaper" plans, and frustrating
    growing pains. Check the forums on Broadband Reports.

    I've had AT&T's CallVantage for several months and couldn't be happier.

    Lena

    Lena, Aug 23, 2006

  3. I've had Vonage for over a year. I'm not thrilled. Personally, I would look
    into one of the other options (Verizon, AT&T). As long as you have no problems
    with your account, and you are reasonably technical, you can make Vonage work pretty
    well. But if you EVER have to call tech support, forget it....

    -Stephen

    Stephen Adams, Aug 23, 2006
  4. kimshapiro100

    Pat Coghlan Guest

    If you don't mind some echo, muffled voice and background hiss during
    silent periods, it's not bad.

    Voice traffic enters/leaves the Vonage server as IP. Unfortunately, it
    may not go directly to the PSTN (traditional voice network) as IP.
    Vonage may hand it off to an inter-exchange carrier (IEC) like
    Allstream. Vonage (and you) can't really control the quality through
    this middle-man.

    AT&T Callvantage and cable telephone companies can inject their voice
    traffic directly into the PSTN without the need for a 3rd party like
    Allstream. Just compare phone calls made from these service providers
    to calls made from a Vonage line.

    The test I like to use is to place a call to my office voicemail - which
    is on the PSTN - and leave a long message which includes several periods
    of silence. I then play the message back from my office phone and check
    it for the above symptoms.

    If you're happy with the results from a service provider like Vonage, go
    for it.

    I decided that VoIP providers that don't inject voice traffic directly
    into the PSTN aren't for me...at least not until these symptoms go away.

    Pat Coghlan, Aug 24, 2006
  5. kimshapiro100

    Fafa Fofo Guest

    I've been a Vonage customer for over 3 years. In the beginning the
    customer support was bad but it has gotten better. I love the service
    and have turned several friends onto it. They all like it. I kew
    people who used Comcast and Optimum voice products and didn't like
    them. They switched to Vonage and stayed. I don't have any experience
    with the Verizon or AT&T offerings but those guys were my original
    motivators to use Vonage so I'm not too interested in going back.

    Fafa Fofo, Aug 24, 2006
  6. kimshapiro100

    Carlo Coggi Guest

    I've had it for 3 years. Very good phone service, poor customer service.

    I'd recommend it. The savings over my old local/LD bill has essentially
    paid for a 'free' upgrade from dial-up to cable internet connection.

    Carlo Coggi, Aug 24, 2006
  7. kimshapiro100

    Fafa Fofo Guest

    Another point that I forgot to mention is that Vonage was the only
    provider that provided a basic fax line for $10/mo. Everyone else
    wants you to pay for a complete 2nd line.

    Fafa Fofo, Aug 25, 2006
  8. kimshapiro100

    jschuck Guest

    I would absolutely recommend Vonage.

    I've had AT&T Call vantage before Vonage. The sound quality on both
    have been excellent, however my experience with AT&T was extremely
    frustrating. I was promised the world in the sales process and it was
    nothing but a disaster. It took 3 months for my phone number to port.
    And then they delayed the port when I left after a couple months to go
    to Vonage. In my opinion AT&T is the old IBM. Big, beauracratic &
    unwilling/unable to make quick changes. Vonage on the other hand is a
    much younger company that might have growing pains, but is going to be
    quicker at change and correction of any issues that do come up.

    ...my 2 pennies..

    jschuck, Aug 27, 2006
  9. kimshapiro100

    Bob M Guest

    Well I had the opposite experience with Vonage. If you want to see a
    disaster subscribe to Vonage.

    Bob

    Bob M, Aug 27, 2006
  10. kimshapiro100

    Joe Guest

    Call quality will have very little to do with Vonage and more to do
    with your internet connection. You have to keep in mind with any VoIP
    service that this travels over the same median that seems to randomly
    crap out when you're checking your email or surfing the web. Depending
    on how your connection is it will either work great or be a painful
    experience.

    If you get VoIP service from the same provider as your internet then
    they can provide a bit more support as they can watch calls as it goes
    out to the PSTN. With Vonage troubleshooting can be a nightmare
    because it will most likely end up being a finger pointing contest
    between Vonage and your ISP.

    Joe, Aug 27, 2006
  11. kimshapiro100

    Pat Coghlan Guest

    I think a lot of it has to do with how they inject their voice traffic
    into the PSTN (via 3rd party IEC etc.).

    Pat Coghlan, Aug 28, 2006