Worst OS I have ever tried to use

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Jenkins, Dec 27, 2007.

  1. I went to see a friend this evening who has recently acquired a new
    PC, purchased for him by his work so he can work from home. It is
    running Vista Premium, about which I have heard much, most of it bad,
    but this is the first time I have actually had the opportunity to
    experience Vista first hand.

    It is even worse than I was led to expect

    It is far slower than Windows 2000 was on the PII 300 laptop with 64M
    RAM I was loaning him in the interim, and far more crash prone. It is
    running on a PB tech box with a GB of RAM, I cant recall what CPU or
    video card off hand, but this is a fairly standard box with NO unusual
    hardware or third party software on it at all - it is pretty much
    fresh out of the box bar the drivers for the broadband modem.

    On initial startup it looked OK, apart from IE being very slow and
    with several windows only rendering partially. Copying files from the
    old machine to the new was relatively painless, they copied onto the
    new machine almost as quickly as they copied off the old. It looks a
    bit like a version of Kubuntu a freind has, but without the speed or
    reliability. The hourglass has been replaced with a small circle which
    looks nice, just as well since I was to spend the next two hours or so
    mostly looking at it.

    Trouble really started after it updated itself and restarted. On
    restart it threw up numerous errors, and I had to do checkdsk to get
    it to start normally which it finally did after several restarts and
    an hour and a half of waiting for it to "configure updates" during
    which it crashed twice. Eventually got it going again so he could go
    on the net, but when he went to turn it off it restarted and reloaded
    ALL the updates all over again. And then crashed. Again.

    I have recommended that he at least gets it upgraded to XP, or better
    to Kubuntu. I saw Vista running on a laptop a guy at work brought in,
    and he ended up upgrading it to XP in the end after putting up with
    the flakiness and instability for two weeks.

    I have heard people call Vista the new Windows ME. Having had
    experience of both, I think that is probably unfair - to Windows ME,
    anyway. Market ready it certainly isn't.

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Dec 27, 2007

  2. Peter Jenkins

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Sounds like something OTHER than Vista causing the problems here...

    Mickey Mouse, Dec 27, 2007

  3. Peter Jenkins

    Enkidu Guest

    Anything with KDE is going to be slow and unreliable. I pity anyone
    whose first experience of Linux is KDE-based. It's the Fisher-Price of
    desktops. Chunky and clunky and breaks if you look at it funny.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 27, 2007
  4. Peter Jenkins

    peter Guest

    That is not correct. KDE runs just fine on all of the boxes I have tried it
    on. And it was the first desktop I used with Linux (although things were a
    bit more manual-matic back then).

    Of course, that is the strength of open source; user choice. Some folk
    prefer Gnome, others like KDE, others go with xfce, etc. I've tried Gnome
    on several occasions, but it seems less flexible than KDE.

    However, I agree with the OP that Vista is not pleasant to use. Turning off
    the eye candy (Aero, translucent dialogs, desktop widgets, etc) does help,
    and you have to have quite high end hardware. Even with all that, it seems
    not as good as Win2000 for ordinary office tasks (running Excel, Word,
    etc).

    Peter

    peter, Dec 27, 2007
  5. The "advanced" mode on this Asus Eee I'm using to type this is KDE. I'm
    using KNode for USENET, the KStars planetarium app, the Kalzium periodic
    table ... all running quite nicely on a 900MHz Celeron M processor with
    only a half gig of RAM.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 27, 2007
  6. Peter Jenkins

    Bobs Guest

    Yet again an inept user blames his tools.

    Bobs, Dec 27, 2007
  7. Peter Jenkins

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Vista is an eye opener alright. I'm damn glad the laptop that I got to use
    Vista on isn't mine.
    Windows 7 will be worth seeing. Should be like XP on steroids.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 28, 2007
  8. Peter Jenkins

    Nighthawk Guest

    I just knew Mickey Mouse would be the first to reply, with a defence
    of Vista!

    Nighthawk, Dec 28, 2007
  9. You hope.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2007
  10. Peter Jenkins

    EMB Guest

    Although to give him his due he is probably right. I haven't seen
    problems as described by the OP on any of the 30 or so PCs running Vista
    that I look after. And before you accuse me of being another Vista
    apologist, I like Vista so much that I have 'upgraded' my new laptop to
    XP.

    EMB, Dec 28, 2007
  11. Why?

    What about it will make it worth seeing, but not worth installing and
    using?

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Dec 28, 2007
  12. Peter Jenkins

    impossible Guest

    Yes, it's good to have people who can think objectively about a problem
    instead of just chiming in with some anti-Microsoft FUD, isn't it? Myself, I
    wonder about the machine's hardware specs and condition. The OP's claim that
    this was "a fairly standard box" isn't saying much. Was it certified by the
    vendor as Vista Premium Ready? Did the vendor do the original Vista
    installation? And was everything certified as working properly when the
    machine left the shop? If so, then the purchaser should either be looking
    for a repair or a refund. Or was this simply another case of an upgrade
    buggered by someone who didn't know what they were doing? I seriously doubt
    we'll hear answers to these sorts of questions from the OP, who after all
    was just trolling.

    impossible, Dec 28, 2007
  13. Peter Jenkins

    geoff Guest

    And you evidently hope not...

    geoff

    geoff, Dec 28, 2007
  14. I hope nothing. I simply observe the facts. Like that the much-vaunted,
    supposedly-stripped-down "MinWin" kernel, which is supposed to form the
    basis of Dimdows 7, is using about twice the RAM of a full-featured Linux
    kernel.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2007
  15. Peter Jenkins

    Richard Guest

    So what? Ram is so cheap its not really a problem.

    Richard, Dec 28, 2007
  16. Peter Jenkins

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    lol - the fan club...

    As someone who builds their own systems, and does actually have a few years
    experience of diagnosing hardware and software issues on Windows systems, I
    can say that what was described is definitely non-standard behaviour that
    warrants a much more in-depth analysis than simply a "blame it on Vista"
    cop-out. Although that is a much less appealing answer for the FUD-packers.

    Mickey Mouse, Dec 28, 2007
  17. That's what they said about Vista.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2007
  18. Here's a review <http://www.mcseworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10244> of
    a book called "Windows Vista Annoyances", about how to get Visaster working
    better, or at least, less suckingly.

    Apparently the first sentence of the book is

    Windows Vista is like a papaya: sleek on the outside, but a big mess
    on the inside,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2007
  19. Peter Jenkins

    Bobs Guest

    What is your obsession with saving RAM anyway? A 1 gig stick of it costs
    50 bucks.

    Bobs, Dec 28, 2007
  20. Peter Jenkins

    Max Burke Guest