    didn't eventually crack or break outright. I had three cheap
    Manfrotto products that all suffered from this. Putting plastic under
    constant tension is a recipe for disaster.

    RichA, Apr 12, 2013

  2. RichA

    Peter Irwin Guest

    It is probably a question of temperature. Plastics tend to become
    brittle at low temperatures, and while the manual may say you
    shouldn't use a certain tripod at temperatures below -10C, that
    is a silly restriction for something you intend to use outdoors
    year round in Canada.

    Peter.

    Peter Irwin, Apr 13, 2013

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I've got a pellet pistol made by BSA in Britain. It's essentially a
    cut-down rifle. To cock it (it's break-action) you put a plastic tube
    over the end of the barrel to provide leverage. I've had it for
    decades. Whatever the plastic is they used on it, it's the strongest
    plastic I've ever seen. Additionally, I've got a Cullman tripod
    (German) that I've had for years that has plastic leg clasps that
    hasn't broken yet, so maybe it's just garbage Manfrotto and Slik that
    suck?

    RichA, Apr 14, 2013
  4. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    The propeller blades on many modern aircraft including the E-2 and the
    new Airbus A-400M are made mostly of plastic you know and operate fine
    at -40.

    J. Clarke, May 8, 2013