Worse part of Certification

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by SuperCoder, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. SuperCoder

    SuperCoder Guest

    Although, this post might not be directly related to MCAD/MCSD, but it is to
    make aware of the delay/issues in receiving the certificate or welcome kit.

    ==========

    I guess the worse part of getting certified is receiving the certificate.

    The customer support by email is very bad, Prometric, Microsoft [in some
    region] and Oracle [from my personal experience]

    Can you imagine, it's been more than 2-3 months, but still I haven't
    received any certificate. Currently I'm OCP and MCP, but didn't receive
    anything. Every time I contact them, they say they're going to reship them.
    Although after so many months I did receive OCA certificate.

    Well, the worst part is that, when you send an email to Prometric, they take
    ages to reply, usually 6-10 days. And suppose if you miss out something [for
    e.g mentioning your id, that could happen to any newcomer] you have to wait
    another 6-10 days for the reply.

    So if a professional is waiting for the certificate, and his/her job is
    pending because of that, then it would be really tough.

    Has anyone had this experience? Or is it only me? Share your experience.

    SuperCoder, Jul 4, 2006

  2. SuperCoder

    Simon Hart Guest

    I must admit I receive mine within 4-6 weeks every time. But mine come from
    Singapore. Not sure if the offices at Singapore is more efficient but do
    bear in mind they have to manufacture material with your name on.

    You can always share out your transcript ID so your employers can see which
    exams you have passed on the internet.

    Regards
    Simon.

    Simon Hart, Jul 4, 2006

  3. SuperCoder

    CaffieneRush Guest

    Bad service is not unique to certification services.
    I have to cover the sys admins on rare occasions and had to call D**l
    for server service on 3 occasions and lets just say I rather go to the
    dentist. D**l treats us this way even though we have gold service 4
    hour response contracts on all our critical servers plus our company is
    a FTSE 250 company. I feel sorry the sys admins that have to do this
    part of their job for a living. Furthurmore, I wonder what happens to
    those with a service level that is less than gold?
    BTW. A tip to get excellent service after a long runaround is to get or
    threaten to get the account manager involved. Excellent service means
    frequent phone calls/emails from the D**l rep updating you on every
    minutia of the movement of the required part and the timetable of the
    engineer being sent on site. But don't use this option lightly or it
    might lose its effectiveness.

    Back to certification services, I've had fairly good service by phone
    from Vue and Microsoft when the original MCP welcome kit was late.
    Once my details were in the system, there was no furthur problems with
    getting MCAD and MCSD welcome kits.

    The paper cert is nice to have in hand, but you do know that the
    transcripts on the MCP site gets updated almost right away (~2/3 days).
    Just provide your prospective employer with the MCP transcript url,
    your transcript id and transcript sharing code and they can go and
    check your transcript for themselves.

    Andy

    CaffieneRush, Jul 4, 2006
  4. SuperCoder

    SuperCoder Guest

    I havnt checked out the Prometric's phone service.

    Anyways, in my opinion nothing could be worse than prometric. I wanted to
    change my address in the profile, and I couldnt change the address, some
    error it was giving, and instructing me to contact the webmaster.

    Now, finding an email address is a challenge itself, but once i did, i sent
    an email about the error, and still they've not replied.

    SuperCoder, Jul 4, 2006
  5. SuperCoder

    SuperCoder Guest

    Yes online transcript is good, but suppose certification which doesnt have
    online transcript like Oracle, What would a person do then?

    But from my personal experience, Microsoft support was really good if you
    compare it to Oracle. Oracle is worse, and as I've said, if you miss the
    tiny detail which they want, you have to wait for 5-10 days more. And
    there's no guarantee. First time they send your certificate by Global Mail,
    and it usually takes around 30-40 days to arrive, and suppose if you dont
    get it, then you have to wait another 1 months.

    So for all the people, please do appreciate MS service, its really good
    compared to other vendors

    SuperCoder, Jul 4, 2006
  6. SuperCoder

    SuperCoder Guest

    I'd say, Japan's regional service's response is excellent. But middle east,
    Africa or some other place are handled by Germany, and you have to wait for
    10-20 days, just to get a reply. Its so bad.

    SuperCoder, Jul 5, 2006
  7. SuperCoder

    CaffieneRush Guest

    It is best to follow up with your provider in writing or by phone if
    the problem is unsual or complicated. Rightly or wrongly, email queries
    tend to imply that customer considers the problem not to be urgent,
    however 6-10 day turnaround for answering email queries is still
    inexcusable.

    CaffieneRush, Jul 6, 2006
  8. SuperCoder

    SuperCoder Guest

    6-10 days still excusable
    Sent an email still didnt get the reply.
    Yes, what you said is true, but Prometric doesnt have regional center in
    some coutries, what what will happen to those candidates? They have to make
    an international/overseas call.

    SuperCoder, Jul 6, 2006
  9. July 11, 2006

    I haven't read through all the posts in this thread... but MSFT has told me
    that if someone calls in with an MCP ID# and the person's name, then they
    will let them know whether they have passed certain certifications. In this
    way, an employer could verify your credentials.

    Also, I would hope other certification companies would have this same
    "phone-in" verification for employers and potential employees.

    :)

    --
    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer