Working connection stops working?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gary Fritz, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    I have a Dell laptop with W200 wireless LAN card, running XP Pro SP2.

    I created a WPA-secured connection to our router. The router does NOT
    broadcast its SSID. After going through the WPA keys/etc setup, the
    connection worked just fine. I've been using it for a few weeks.

    I noticed there were some other WAPs in range, and out of curiosity I tried
    connecting to one of them. I selected my connection and Disconnected it,
    then Connected to the other WAP. XP connected to that WAP but I decided I
    should leave it alone, so I disconnected it.

    Only now my router's connection doesn't show up in Available Networks. If
    I view the properties of the connection (view network connections, right-
    click -> Properties, Wireless Networks tab), the SSID is in the "Preferred
    Networks" list. But there's a little red X on it, and XP won't connect to
    it. It says "<<SSID>> (Manual)" -- I don't remember if it said that
    before. The properties of the SSID (WPA keys, connect automatically when
    in range, etc) all look OK, just like before.

    Rebooting didn't help.

    What happened to it? All I did was disconnect it and try to reconnect.
    How can I connect to it again? Do I have to re-create the connection!?

    Thanks,
    Gary

    Gary Fritz, Jun 12, 2006

  2. Gary Fritz

    Guest Guest

    Gary:

    Did what you did, and got the same problem. Went back to the router and had
    it broadcast the SSID, and reconnected. Give ti a try before you go crazy.

    Guest, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Gary Fritz

    RalfG Guest

    Manually disconnecting the automatic connection pops up a message that
    informs you automatic re-connection will be disabled if you continue.
    Deleting and recreating the connection is one way to re-enable autoconnect,
    I don't know if there are other workarounds.

    RalfG, Jun 13, 2006
  4. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    Huh. That was easy enough. Seems to be fine now, and the connection
    restores after a reboot even when I turn off SSID broadcast again. Thanks
    for the tip!

    But I still have to wonder what happened, and why the problem showed up in
    the first place. Am I going to have to muck with my router's SSID setting
    every time I take my laptop on the road and connect to a local hotspot?

    Gary

    Gary Fritz, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Gary Fritz

    Guest Guest

    Gary:

    I shut off the SSID originally for security reasons, but due to problems
    with the network, troubleshooting etc., hooking up a laptop, then
    disconnecting it, I finally left the darn SSID on, otherwise I wind up
    mucking around with it like you.

    Instead, I had the option of using a MAC filter, which allows only listed
    PC's to connect. Plus I used AOL's "Port Magic" at one point to see who else
    is logging on to my network recording the MAC address of the intruder. I
    recall it might even send the intruder a message, not sure how it works now
    as I shut it off. Some guy in the neighborhood did try as I found out.

    Lets see if any experts would chime in on this, as I was curious if there's
    a better answer to this. At least we got our networks going.

    :

    Guest, Jun 13, 2006
  6. In Windows XP, there are 2 different settings to indicate a preferred
    network's status -- one of them is configurable from the properties page,
    and is intended to be long-term, while the other setting (disconnected
    status in the "view available networks" UI) is intended to be short-term.
    While this works well for visible (broadcasting) networks, users can run
    into problems with hidden networks since once you disconnect the network
    from the Available Networks list, it will not show up again unless the AP is
    set to broadcast its Ssid.

    As you mentioned, one of the workarounds is to broadcast the Ssid until you
    can see it again, and then reconnect to the network. Another workaround is
    to delete and recreate the network.

    Thanks,
    --= MSA

    Mohammad S. Alam [MS], Jun 13, 2006
  7. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    Hm. I don't remember seeing any message like that.

    Hrmph. That is a pain. I really prefer not to broadcast the SSID.

    Although I guess it's not likely to be a problem when I take the laptop on
    the road. I won't have to disconnect the network then; it will just go out
    of range. And hopefully it will automatically reconnect once it gets back
    into range. I'll just have to be careful not to manually disconnect it, or
    remember to turn on the SSID to reconnect it if I do.

    Thanks all!
    Gary

    Gary Fritz, Jun 14, 2006