    user name and password, then gives me access to the laptop.
    What am I doing wrong??
    Thanks,

    Golfnutz, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Golfnutz

    Malke Guest

    Here is how to use your laptop (domain account) at home:

    from MVP Lanwench:

    Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
    on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
    Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
    credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
    drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
    line:

    net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Golfnutz

    Golfnutz Guest

    I'm not sure I typed in all the right variables, so if you could be a bit
    more specific, it would be helpful.

    Home tower computer has a name of P4
    Home user is golfnutz
    Laptop name is lsd-vaiolaptop
    Laptop user is golferd

    not sure what to put in for sharename or user

    Thanks,
    Golfnutz

    Golfnutz, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Golfnutz

    Malke Guest

    Here's a link to an MS article which details the full use of the net use
    command:

    http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Golfnutz

    Golfnutz Guest

    Using the net use command only shows me my disconnected work network drives.
    It will not show me my home workgroup or P4 computer, so I still cannot
    connect to the printer or access the shared drives on my home system.
    Could the wireless router be stopping things? It doesn't make sense since as
    I said earlier, P4's view workgroup computers sees the laptop and can access
    it's resources if I set them to share. It just asks for a valid user name and
    password.
    Why would it only work in one direction??? My home computer (P4) has all
    it's resources shared.
    Thanks again,
    Golfnutz

    Golfnutz, Jan 31, 2005
  6. Golfnutz

    Malke Guest

    No, the wireless router is not stopping things. It sounds as though you
    have a firewall misconfigured. Here is a network troubleshooter by MVP
    Hans-Georg Michna. Go through it carefully and it will pinpoint the
    source of the problem.

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 31, 2005