Workaround - DOS under Windows 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello

    I am a s/w developer and I think it's time I had a 64 bit desktop; partly so
    we can produce applications for this platform, partly so we can support our
    (32bit) applications on a 64bit platform (inevitably our customers will do
    this some time soon...)

    I'm likely to go for a new PC with Pentium or Xeon and EM64T; (I want HT
    capability and am not prepared to pay the current premium for dual-core
    processor on a desktop...)

    The trouble is we still develop and support text-only DOS (!) applications.
    This is fine under W2K, WinXP... but I realise not so under 64bit.

    So, as a workaround I though I could run up Virtual PC on my desktop, and
    run up Windows 2000, XP, or even plain DOS.

    Does this sound a reasonable workaround?

    Are there any caveats I should look out for?

    I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

    Guest, Sep 29, 2005

  2. VirtualPC does not run on XP64: there are no 64 bit drivers for it yet.

    You can use Virtual Server, VMWare Workstation 5 or DOSBox if this meets
    your needs.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the tip; I had not realised this limitation.

    I was going to run up VS2005 on another server anyway; maybe that's a better
    solution; or otherwise VS2005 on my desktop, as you suggest.

    --
    Clive Crocker
    CMC Communication Systems Ltd

    Guest, Sep 29, 2005
  4. You need the beta of Virtual Server SP1/R2 to run on x64. The released
    version will not install.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 30, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 2, 2005