Work laptop doesn't see home network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jerry B, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Jerry B

    Jerry B Guest

    I can't seem to get my work laptop to see my home network, despite reading
    and executing a variety of different tactics from several sources.
    My home PC is a Windows XP box connected to my dsl line through a Linksys G
    wireless broadband router.
    My work laptop uses a Microsoft wireless G card and it has no problem
    getting to the Internet through my home router/dsl setup. But I cannot get
    the work laptop to see shared folders on the home PC, or even the home PC.
    Nor can my home PC see the laptop.
    The folks at my work help desk tell me I can't get it done because my laptop
    belongs to a domain. But I've used this same laptop at major events and
    connected wirelessly to other computers with photos, PowerPoint
    presentations, etc., that I needed.
    I've tried mapping the laptop to the network drive using my PC's IP address
    and computer name. No luck.
    I've tried a variety of different combinations of IP addresses and computer
    names. No luck.
    I've tried the network setup wizard, but it won't complete its task on my
    laptop, complaining that it belongs to a doman.
    I've even tried naming the domain on my router the same name as the domain
    my work laptop belongs to. No luck.
    I'm sure I'm missing something obvjous.
    Is there a simple (underscore simple) step-by-step process published
    somewhere that I can use to fix this?

    Thanks for your advice.
    Jerry

    Jerry B, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Jerry B

    Guest Guest

    - temporary disable any and all firewalls and virus
    scanners on both machines.
    - try to ping between both machines
    - check if file and printer sharing is enabled.
    Post back if you can't get it to work...

    Guest, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Jerry B

    Jerry B Guest

    Your suggestion to ping made the difference.
    It forced me to look more carefully at the IP address of my desktop. I
    learned I had been trying to connect to my router's gateway address, not the
    desktop's IP address.
    Once I mapped to the correct IP address, I was able to print and view shared
    folders using my laptop.
    Like I said... I was missing the obvious.
    Many thanks for your help.
    Jerry B

    Jerry B, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Jerry B

    PacE

    Joined:
    May 6, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Let me blow the cobwebs off this topic....there that's better.

    I have the same problem with my works laptop. They have just upgraded my OS from Win 2000 Pro to Win XP Pro. The laptop has a built in wireless card and my home PC connects to the net via a Belkin Wireless Router. Now before, when the laptop was on Win 2000 Pro, to find folders on the home PC was easy. I could do it through Explorer or through 'Add Network Place'. But now it's upgraded to Win XP Pro all I am able to see when I browse is Domain 10 which is the company's network. The same can be said for using the home PC to browse for the laptop, before it would show, but now it doesn't. No settings on the main PC have been changed at all and the laptop is still able to connect to the internet.

    From the laptop I have been successful in 'pinging' to the home PC. But when I've tried to ping the laptop it times out. Now I'm no expert at networks...far from it (I'm about to take the hammer to both at the moment) and I've tried all the obvious things like disabling Firewalls / AV software etc. Any help on this issue would be most welcome.

    Thanks In Advance

    PacE, May 6, 2006
  5. Jerry B