Work Flow methods...please post your thoughts and suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by leonardvb, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. leonardvb

    leonardvb Guest

    Hi,
    Here is my workflow method from input to output. Please post any
    comments , or suggestions on how this can be improved upon, and/or a
    method that is best suited for digital imaging. There is not a lot of
    info on this, as it seems different software companies tend not to
    promote another company's software in the work flow process.

    OS is Windows XP...so some progs may not apply for Mac users:

    scans (mostly slide film) with Dimage Dual Scan IV (adobe RGB
    profiled) > Adobe Photoshop CS ( dust scratch removal, crops, special
    fx, color and lighting adjustments) > Qimage ( for expanding image
    quality using better interpolation methods than Photoshop) >Adobe
    Photoshop 'Neat Image' plugin to remove noise > 'Focalblade' plugin
    for sharpening > Image Print (for outputting to my Epson 2200
    printer)better ICC paper profiles than epson provided ones

    What's your thoughts, suggestions, YOUR workflowchart etc...

    Thx
    Len

    leonardvb, Nov 28, 2004

  2. leonardvb

    Alan Browne Guest

    General flow

    Scan at max res with or without ICE as reqiuired -> TIF
    Crop
    Levels / contrast / color adjustments
    USM (custom settings, image by image)
    Save as master TIF
    Repeat
    Reload master
    Resize down to desired size (print, web, e-mail)
    USM (custom setings for each image size)
    Save as (TIF/JPG)
    Print (if req'd)
    Close
    Until done with that image

    Backup

    The use of other packages (Neat Image, etc would go into the flow where needed
    prior to printing and/or archival. Color profiling is a "maintenance" task, not
    a workflow task, IMO.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Nov 28, 2004

  3. leonardvb

    Drifter Guest

    CF card to computer via "Downloader pro" (Breeze systems) where it is
    put in a "RAW Master" file folder. Images are then copied into a
    second folder called "WORKFILE MASTER" (now I have a working copy and
    a safe backup copy). Images are culled in "WORKFILE MASTER" and the
    crap deleted (I still have everything in "RAW Master" in case I change
    my mind). Once the culling is done the "WORKFILE MASTER" folder
    contents are copied into a folder called "ARCHIVES" and a subfolder
    with a descriptive name. Inside that descriptive name are two folders
    "RAW" and "WORKING". I place a copy of the images in each of the
    folders (RAW being my digital negatives and WORKING to work on at my
    leisure). I then synchronize my "ARCHIVES" folder with my external
    HDD so that I have a backup of everything. I then can go back and
    clear out "RAW MASTER" and "WORKFILE MASTER" for the next batch.

    I now have a culled set of images in 4 locations (2 physically
    separate locations) in case something screws up.

    After all of that is done my image processing workflow is highly
    dependant on the individual images but my common tools are Photoshop
    CS, assorted plug-ins and actions, and occasionally output via an HP
    photosmart 7960

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Nov 28, 2004