    icon

    Please outline steps.

    Roger

    meteore, Nov 17, 2011

  2. I don't know how to fix it in Vista, off the top of my head. But the problem
    is File Associations are set wrong. How or why it happened is unknown, but
    with Win XP, you fix it from within Windows Explorer. Click Tools>Folder
    Options, then select File Types. Scroll the list of files until you get to
    PDF, and change the association back to Acrobat Reader.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 18, 2011

  3. meteore

    meteore Guest

    I first called my bank yesterday, where the problem first occurred,
    even though it also happened in hotmail.
    I sensed by this person's voice, that he wouldn't help. He told me to
    call my internet provider. The guy at the provider told me to call
    the bank, as it was not his responsibility. I called back the bank
    later in the evening, so as to not get same person and got some lady
    who went to her tech staff and she guided me to fix the the problem.
    Within a few minutes the problem was solved.

    She told me to save file or letter attachment.
    In summary, I clicked on file where it was saved and got some prompt
    that made adobe reader default and problem resolved quickly.

    roger

    meteore, Nov 19, 2011
  4. Yes, she changed the File Association.

    Your computer knows what to do with a file because of the file extension,
    the part of the file name following the dot -- filename.txt, for exampe.
    Since the example has .txt, then it is a text file, and will be opened with
    NotePad or WordPad. You can have a file with filename.pdf, and pdf means the
    file will be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Somewhere in your machine,
    NOT THE BANK AND NOT YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER, your file associations got
    screwed up, and PDF files were being opened with NotePad, or some
    application that does not read the language of a PDF file. The problem you
    had was with your machine, not with the service that brings the file to you.
    or the service that originated the file. The bank should not have told you
    to call your provider, and your provider should not have sent you to the
    bank. Both should have sent you to school. You eventually found somebody
    that told you the same thing I told you, problem solved.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 20, 2011