Wordpad double spacing problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Nov 14, 2011.

  1. I suggest you test with another keyboard. I'd suspect doublestrikes on the
    Return Key before I suspected a glich in the program.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 14, 2011

  2. Whatever the cause, if this presents a practical problem, you
    can draft single-spaced and then reforrmat double-spaced.

    Don Phillipson, Nov 14, 2011

  3. Jeff Strickland

    VanguardLH Guest

    Note: Groups not included in my reply:

    alt.computer.workshop
    (don't know the purpose of that group, haven't been there)

    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    (I believe that is a hardware group, not OS or app)

    FYI: Newsgroups for Windows (which includes Wordpad) still exist.
    Did you mean to ask about Wordpad or Word?

    Are you creating the file in Wordpad, later editing it using Word, and
    then later still using either Wordpad or Word to view the modified file?

    Did you copy some "text" from a web page or other HTML-formatted
    document? If so, you have some HTML in your document, like <P> for
    paragraphing. You could play around with backspacing in the whitespace
    to see if you happen to get rid of the paragraphing section, or open the
    file in Notepad, save as plain text, and start again in Wordpad.

    VanguardLH, Nov 14, 2011
  4. Or maybe not.

    When I was using a Mac Plus, I spilled some soda on it. I thought I
    cleaned the keyboard up properly, but suddenly I was getting two
    characters for one key press on one key. So I take the keyboard apart,
    desolder the keyswitch and put in a new one (obviously I happned to have a
    keyswitch that fit, otherwise I wouldn't have done this), put it back
    together and it still did it.

    It was a bug in that early Microsoft Word for the Mac. Pressing that one
    key (I think it was only one key) and the numeric keypad caused the
    character to be entered twice. If I'd pressed any other key after
    cleaning the keyboard, I'd have never noticed, or if I'd used some other
    program, I'd have never noticed.

    Not likely to happen to someone else, but I really thought it was the
    keyboard that time (especially since I had spilled the soda, so there was
    something to blame).

    Michael

    Michael Black, Nov 14, 2011
  5. Jeff Strickland

    lulu Guest

    Sometimes Wordpad will single space the lines in text, then all of a sudden it
    will switch to what appears to be double spacing every line. Why is that, and is
    there a way to make it go back to single spacing?

    lulu, Nov 14, 2011
  6. Jeff Strickland

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Same thing happens to me when I try pasting wordpad text into another
    application (I notice it a lot in OE).

    I hope you find out what's causing it, as I usually end up bouncing between
    OO and Notepad to try and monkey with it. I suspect it's a
    linefeed/carriage return issue.

    Have you tried Cetus wordpad?

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Nov 15, 2011