    I am just asking what is the difference between wordpad documents and rich
    text documents - I have both options but they look the same to me. ???
    Can anyone explain this?

    melanie, Jun 16, 2005

  2. melanie

    why? Guest

    Can you explain your question?

    Do you mean the (default I see which is ) Save , Rich Text Format (RTF)
    as opposed to saving as Word for Windows 6.0?

    Internally the file formats are different, the Word for Windows format
    is a binary file, you need Word(pad) or compatiable app to open and
    read.

    The RTF is a text based file that's always been a very portable format,
    it contains the same text / formatting as the DOC format but looks like
    this.

    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
    Arial;}}
    \viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 this is wordpad document\par
    }

    Then again the RTF file is 144 bytes (for the text 'this is wordpad
    document' ) and the same DOC is 4608 bytes.

    RTF
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/r/rich_text_format_RTF.html

    Me

    why?, Jun 16, 2005

  3. melanie

    WormWood Guest

    There are Plain Text and Rich Text. Plain text is exactly what the name
    implies. Rich Text is like html which gives you the ability to include a
    background, colored fonts, imbed objects (sound and graphics,) etc.

    WormWood, Jun 16, 2005
  4. melanie

    WormWood Guest

    Oops! Word Pad will also do Rich Text as will OE in compose window.

    WormWood, Jun 16, 2005