Word 2007 XML/ZIP files, older Word and/or Open Office

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Freides, Jan 28, 2010.

  1. I got emailed an attachment as a ZIP file yesterday. Tried saving it
    and looking inside - several folders, lots of .XML files, and Word 2003,
    which is what's on my machine, couldn't figure out how to open any of
    them individually.

    Today someone else on the email list said that if I had Word 2007, I
    could save the ZIP as a DOC and open it in the newer Word. My older
    word has a converter installed - I have no problems opening .DOCX files.
    But this didn't work - I get the error message

    Word cannot start the converts mswrd632.wpc

    A bit of reading on the Internet shows nothing Word-2003-specific about
    my error message and mentions a registry edit, followed by importing a
    registry script from the MS site, as the fix. What I read also mentions
    an early December, 2009 security "fix" from MS as the cause of the
    problem.

    Other than shoot myself or shoot the person who sent me this file, any
    suggestions about a good way to get it to open would be appreciated. I
    don't have Open Office on my main machine but I do have it on the
    laptop - haven't tried this yet, all the sleight of hand with renaming
    the attachment made me want to ask first.

    NB: I have no intention of buying Office 2007 and you'd have to pay me,
    not make me pay, to get it installed on my machine.

    I have asked for the file in a .DOC or .DOCX format, but while I'm
    waiting, I thought I'd see if there was a way to make it work with what
    I've got.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Jan 28, 2010

  2. Thank you.

    Was given a different solution by the person who sent the original file.
    Reamed the .ZIP to .DOCX - works fine in Word 2003. Pretty strange
    that exactly the same file, named .DOC, won't work, and named .DOCX, the
    converter kicks in just fine, but that's the way it is. I should have
    thought to try that but I didn't think it would make any difference.

    Go figure, eh?

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Jan 29, 2010