Word 2007 documents rejected by leading science journals

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Jun 9, 2007.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "For reasons known only to itself, Microsoft has changed the default
    equations editor of Word 2007 so that, unlike previous versions of Word, it
    is no longer compatible with the globally accepted standard for writing
    equations in documents, Mathematical Markup Language (MathML).
    It is hard to believe that even Microsoft would be so arrogant as to expect
    scientists and scientific publishers around the world to switch from the
    globally accepted MathML standard just so they can use Word 2007. It almost
    seems as if Microsoft is trying to drive the scientific community into the
    arms of OpenOffice.org.
    In any case, as has just been demonstrated by at least two important
    publishers, the power to dictate standards in the documents space may be
    starting to shift away from the world's largest software vendor and toward
    the user community."

    As usual, it is generally good practice to avoid Microsoft products whenever
    possible.

    Peter, Jun 9, 2007

  2. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:10:07 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/12608/1023/ "For reasons known
    > only to itself, Microsoft has changed the default equations editor of
    > Word 2007 so that, unlike previous versions of Word, it is no longer
    > compatible with the globally accepted standard for writing equations in
    > documents, Mathematical Markup Language (MathML). It is hard to believe
    > that even Microsoft would be so arrogant as to expect scientists and
    > scientific publishers around the world to switch from the globally
    > accepted MathML standard just so they can use Word 2007. It almost seems
    > as if Microsoft is trying to drive the scientific community into the
    > arms of OpenOffice.org.

    No, the open document format.

    > In any case, as has just been demonstrated by at least two important
    > publishers, the power to dictate standards in the documents space may be
    > starting to shift away from the world's largest software vendor and
    > toward the user community."

    Welcome to a battle front.

    > As usual, it is generally good practice to avoid Microsoft products
    > whenever possible.

    Now this just has your foot feeling very sore.

    Gordon, Jun 9, 2007