Word 2000 - how to increase/decrease all font sizes at once?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jersie0, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. jersie0

    jersie0 Guest

    I have a document in Word 2000 containing several different font
    sizes. I would like to increase all of them one or two points. Other
    versions of Word that I've used have a function that enables me to
    highlight all text and then increase the font size of everything
    highlighted one step at a time. That is, anything that is 12 point
    goes to 13 point, then 14 point as I use the function; anything that
    is 20 point goes to 21 then 22, etc.

    As far as I can see, Word 2000 only allows me to directly specify a
    font. If I'm right - I hope I'm not - this means that I will need to
    manually comb the document for font size changes, and separately set a
    new font size for each existing font size. That is, unless I am
    satisfied with, for example, all my 12-point text becoming 14-point,
    along with all my 24-point text becoming 14-point as well.

    What am I missing? There _has_ to be a way to do what I want in Word
    2000. Right?

    jersie0, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Yes, that can be done. One way involves a "customization". Pace the mouse
    cursor somewhere on the toolbar and right click. Select Customise from the
    context menu. Select All commands from the left window pane. Scroll down
    to find the Grow font and add it to the toolbar (Shrink font is also
    available). Now, you can select the text you want to change and click the
    new button on the tool bar.

    Be sure to save the normal template if you want to keep the addition(s) to
    the toolbar.

    Let us know.

    Thomas Ferguson, Nov 7, 2003

  3. There are two keyboard shortcuts that will do something like what you want:

    Ctrl+> and Ctrl+< increase/decrease the font size to the next size listed in
    the Font dropdown.

    Ctrl+] and Ctrl+[ increase/decrease the font size by one point.

    In many cases, the effect is the same. For example, both shortcuts will
    increase 10-pt to 11-pt and 11-pt to 12-pt. But Ctrl+] will increase 12-pt
    to 13-pt, while Ctrl+> will increase 12-pt to 14-pt.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Nov 7, 2003
  4. jersie0

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:28:06 GMT, jersie0 wrote:

    x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.printingfonts,24hoursupport.helpdesk
    For future note it's easier to create styles , set the fonts etc you
    need and format text in a selected style. When you want to change font
    sizes you edit the style definition and it does it in one go throughout
    the document.

    Me

    why?, Nov 7, 2003
  5. GrowFont increases the text size to the next listed size. GrowFontOnePoint
    increases it one point.

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Nov 7, 2003
  6. These keyboard shortcuts are associated with the following commands:

    Ctrl+> GrowFont
    Ctrl+< ShrinkFont
    Ctrl+] GrowFontOnePoint
    Ctrl+[ ShrinkFontOnePoint