Woosh antennae locations in AKL?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by J.Random Luser, May 8, 2004.

  1. Any published info? for near-west?

    I checked coverage 25 April, and the web site said yes, but you'll need
    a booster antenna. I checked again the following day to make sure, and
    the story was the same.

    So with the reduced prices ;-) I went in to Ned Ke^H^H^H^H^H Dick Smith.
    I was curious where the antenna was so I could possibly put the booster
    antenna on the "right" side of the house. The 'droid confirmed my
    suspicion & comments in this ng, it either works or it doesn't, the
    booster antenna merely guarantees you against fading dropouts causing
    speed loss. He then logged on to a Woosh resellers' page, first thing,
    confirm coverage: Sorry we don't have coverage at your address yet....

    'droid even got on the phone to a secret number which appeared to
    confirm that I was SOL. The public home page coverage quiz also says no
    cigar today :-( So what happened?

    Their coverage plans involved moving the antenna to give better infill
    coverage as the network expands?

    Somebody in my street brought one back dissatisfied?

    BTW DSE must be getting nothing out of this: absolutely no advertising
    at all at the K Rd shop, all the units out the back, only one guy who
    knows anything abt them, & he didn't seem the least upset losing a
    sale...

    J.Random Luser, May 8, 2004

  2. How I found the answer to that question for where I live.

    The installed Windows software includes a 'status monitor' with a signal
    status bar graph. Leave the mouse pointer over that and you get a tool tip
    popup with more detail, including the identification number of the
    basestation to which you are connecting.
    I then emailed Woosh to ask the physical location of that Basestation
    (number 36)and some other questions - I got a prompt reply that in part
    said, "As for Base Station 36, its located on top of Alexandra park
    raceway on the corner of Greenlane and Manukau roads'

    Martin.

    Martin Bonham, May 8, 2004

  3. more: a better informed 'droid at another retailer confirmed my
    suspicion: they paint a broad coverage to suck punters in, then fill in
    the black spots based on returns. I've emailed them, but don't expect a
    reply before Monday. I'm an even number on the uphill side of the
    street, the odd numbers are lower & would get weaker or no sig.
    You were lucky, you actually got a unit home. If the website says no
    coverage today, the 'droids are locked out of making a sale :-(

    J.Random Luser, May 9, 2004
  4. J.Random Luser

    EMB Guest

    In
    Just give your address as somewhere guaranteed to have coverage....those
    apartments in Upper Queen St do ok. Then return it if it don't go at home
    and say the concrete wall is the problem. Been done before (at the
    suggestion of the 'droid) and will probably be done again.

    EMB, May 9, 2004
  5. J.Random Luser

    Mr Bond Guest

    I do some work for Ericsson, and I was having a chat to one of their
    Radio-Frequency guys about woosh. He reckons Woosh have a deal to tag
    onto Vodafones cell sites.

    Since the coverage isn't flash maybe they are putting them on one pole
    at a time to reduce their costs.

    I know that both vodafone and telecom have cell sites at Alexander
    Park (Telecom Northern eastern corner, Vodafone opposite the
    hosipital, southern side).

    Mr Bond, May 9, 2004
  6. That figures. My guess is they're on the Avondale site, top of the hill
    at the railway. Gives major line of sight coverage for 10+ km in some
    directions, but plenty of holes of course.

    I thought I should get a much better path to this Avondale one than
    Unitec, but Unitec often shows up on the 'fone...

    J.Random Luser, May 10, 2004