Woosh and the Penguin, an update

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    For the readers of nz.reg.canty.general I posted the question in nz.comp
    as to whether or not the Penguin talked to Ms Woosh.

    First off people, thanks for your replies, it sent me off on more trails
    of homework.

    In summary Woosh is nothing more than PPPoE. As is ASDL, read Telecom, for
    they hold the monolopy in this area as the local loop is not unbundled.

    Right, what I have found out. Woosh is extremely ignorant about the
    Penguin. Still this is to be expected as she is well under the radar when
    fishing.

    Some moons ago when Woosh was still Walker wireless, I had the experience
    of setting up an ADSL for a community group. PPPoE introducded her self,
    and at the time I was much more interest in another protocol, it did give
    me experience of PPPoE.

    My homework suggested that:-

    a) It might be a challange
    b) Use MSwindows to get the modem to talk to Woosh, so called flashing.
    c) PPPoE *is* required client wise.

    To-day I went out and purchased a conncetion, including the hardware to
    Woosh.

    "Could I have the Ethernet cable as well?"

    " You have a Mac? "

    Okay I thought lets paly this route, someone suggested it was the way to
    go.

    " Okay we will have to flash the modem then"

    Lets do I thought.

    70 mins later and about as many re-bootings later we had a modem which was
    flashed and could connect in store via the MS Windows OS. The irony did
    not escape me. Bill Gates would be crying into his wallet, for here was a
    protocol which does work across platforms. It was being set up on a
    platform that the modem would not be connected to.

    Home. This property is on the edge of Woosh's map as in one of its flyers.
    So they suggested the booster aerial. $55 odd. To me it looks like a
    crocodile on my window.

    I thought lets see how the signsl stength is. Turned the modem on and yes,
    it does go very much better by windows or outside.

    I fired up Mandrake 10 after plugging in the ethernet cable.

    "Okay, what language do we need to speak?" Ms Pegunin was back from her
    fishing and was very interested in this new connection.

    To the control centre. Okay its PPPoE, so is ADSL, lets try that. Click,
    click went the mouse. CD went in and We need to satrt the network, and it
    suggests that one to re-start ones X enviornment.

    Done. Now ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Ping returned.

    Yes!?

    Ping xtra.co.nz ... ping returned.

    Open broweser. YES! we have a connection.

    Okay, lets find the motorway. Go.... 32KB/s. Whew 250/8 gives us that.
    Good.

    Lets try a few web pages. Plonk, plonk. They suddenly appaered on the
    screen.

    All of a sudden I had the same feeling I had when going from a 2.4k modem
    to a 14.4 one.

    So while I keep reading in the media about how wireless technology is
    un-proven I, and others in the real world know that all you can not
    believe all you read. Maybe this too ;-)

    In summary Linux networks with Woosh, no suprise as the Penguin has been
    netowrking long before MS windows knew the meaning of the word. As Ms
    Penguin says, you may need to swim around for the meal rather get what you
    are given, but the choice is priceless. Telecom is kept from invading my
    wallet anymore, and it brings me one stage closer to snipping the local
    loop.

    Gordon, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Gordon

    theseus Guest

    Nope
    Linux is a late arrival
    The earlier POSIX compliant operating systems have different mascots.

    theseus, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Gordon

    SteveM Guest

    ADSL in Nz is PPPoATM (PPPoA) not PPPoE
    SNIP

    SteveM

    SteveM, Aug 7, 2004
  4. ADSL supplied by Telecom uses PPPoA, not PPPoE. Woosh uese PPPoE.
    Huh? PPPoE has nothing to do with Microsoft, it is defined in RFC 2516.

    'Flashing' which is nothing more than the modem remembering the last
    username and password entered in to it, should take about 2 minutes -
    plug it in, enter your username/password, connect, test.
    Bloody wizards... pppoa.conf might be just as easy.
    Woosh does work if you are in a good coverage area. It has a bad
    reputation primarily due to the high latency inherent in the system.
    Networks were around long before either Microsoft or Linux existed, I'm
    sure Bill Gates was well aware of them. Microsoft perhaps didn't take
    advantage of them in their products soon enough, but to say they weren't
    aware is wildly inaccurate.

    The original Berkeley sockets implementations used by Windows, Linux,
    and practically every other OS today, date back to the days of AT&A Unix
    and the BSD extensions (Which subsequently became the *BSD operating
    systems).

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Aug 7, 2004
  5. At the University where I was working when the Internet first came to NZ
    (in 1988), we had both Mac and DOS/Windows machines connected with
    TCP/IP before there was such a thing as Linux.
    Actually, AT&T preferred "STREAMS" as their networking architecture, as
    opposed to Berkeley Sockets.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 8, 2004
  6. As far as I know the TCP/IP implementations used with MacOS and
    DOS/Windows back then were not from Microsoft. When we first connected
    to the Internet under Windows 3.1, we used Trumpet Winsock.

    My comment on Microsoft not taking advantage of them sooner related
    primarily to their own IP stack implementation, which was introduced
    comparitively late.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Aug 9, 2004
  7. IE was distributed on 3.1 using another third party dialler (Shiva). The
    stack/dialler as an OS service had to wait until 95.

    But at the time that 3.1 came out it was not targeted very much at the
    home market, were you referring to dialup or Ethernet? I vaguely recall
    that MS did have TCP/IP networking support in Windows 3.1

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 9, 2004
  8. I don't think there was a Microsoft-authored TCP/IP stack in Windows
    3.1. All there was, was this standardized API called "Winsock", which
    allowed different applications to work with different TCP/IP stacks. The
    most popular TCP/IP stack was called "Trumpet".

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 9, 2004
  9. Gordon

    Tim Guest

    The Internet was available in NZ prior to 1988, but not to domestic or
    normal commercial users.
    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 9, 2004
  10. Gordon

    AD. Guest

    There was a Win 3.1 stack available from MS called Wolverine. Whether or
    not they actually wrote it I'm not sure about (it was probably mostly BSD
    stuff), and you had to download it.

    While Trumpet was better for SLIP/PPP stuff, I preferred Wolverine for LAN
    stuff.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 12, 2004