    detect any. A lap top in the same location detects about 7.

    Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

    Elsiehar, Nov 14, 2008

  2. It could be XP SP3 issue. Try to remove it and reinstall it with safe mode.
    Or this search result may help.
    Wireless issue after installing XP SP3
    USB Wireless not working after XP SP3 download · Wireless doesn't work
    after XP SP3 installation · Wireless doesn't work because XP SP3 overwrites
    a file ...
    www.wifimvp.com/wireless&xpsp3.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Nov 14, 2008

  3. Elsiehar

    Pavel A. Guest

    Also, IIRC, the XP Media Center software uses a slightly different method
    to detect wi-fi adapters, and is pickier than the WZC GUI or vendor
    utilities.

    Below is a simple vbscript that I wrote to diagnose this problem, it
    uses same method as Media Center,
    if it won't show any adapters, then you have the same issue,
    and only the wi-fi adapter vendor can fix it.

    (the news reader may wrap long lines. If you can't make it run,
    please email me and I'll send you it zipped. Remove NO from my addr)

    -------------------- cut here ---------
    ' Script to repro the XP 3945 driver issue on TabletXP
    ' Get wireless adapters info using WMI
    ' Watch for "show good icon" or "show bad icon" message in the end
    'Run with CSCRIPT v5.6+
    ' pa02 17-oct-2006

    Wscript.Echo "Enumerating wireless adapters"
    On Error Resume Next
    N = 0

    Set wmi = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!root/wmi")

    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Wscript.Echo "Error opening WMI:" & Err.Number
    Wscript.Quit 1
    End If

    Set AdapterSet = wmi.ExecQuery("select * from MSNdis_80211_BSSIList")

    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Wscript.Echo "Error getting wireless info:" & Err.Number
    Wscript.Quit 2
    End If

    For each wa in AdapterSet
    WScript.Echo "Adapter name=", wa.InstanceName
    WScript.Echo "Number Of Items in scan list=", wa.NumberOfItems
    N = N + wa.NumberOfItems
    WScript.Echo "----"
    Next

    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    ' Wscript.Echo "Error in enumeration (no wlan adapters exist?)", Err.Number
    ' on my tp with 2100: Err.Number=424 = "Object required" ?
    If Err.Number <> 424 Then Wscript.Echo "Error in enumeration:", Err.Number
    End If

    M = -1
    ' *** If AdapterSet is "bad value", the following line has no effect ***
    M = AdapterSet.Count

    If M > 0 Then
    Wscript.Echo "Adapter count (using BSSIDLIST)=", M
    Wscript.Echo "Total networks visible=", N
    ' Note: N can be 0 if the driver runs under Proset (no implicit scans),
    this is ok.
    End If

    If M <> -1 Then

    ' Now try RSSI
    On Error Resume Next

    Set AdapterSet = wmi.ExecQuery("select * from
    MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength")

    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Wscript.Echo "Error from WMI:" & Err.Number
    Wscript.Quit 2
    End If

    N2 = 0

    For each wa in AdapterSet
    WScript.Echo "Adapter name=", wa.InstanceName
    WScript.Echo "RSSI=", wa.Ndis80211ReceivedSignalStrength
    N2 = N2 + 1
    WScript.Echo "----"
    Next

    Wscript.Echo "Adapter count (using RSSI)=", N2

    End If

    If N2 <> 0 Then
    Wscript.Echo "Wireless adapters found - Show good icon :)"
    Else
    Wscript.Echo "No wireless, show bad icon :("
    End If

    --------cut here ---------

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 15, 2008
  4. Elsiehar

    Elsiehar Guest

    Thanks,
    I contacted the manufacturer and they haved have a new driver for SP3. I
    did install it but windows wouldn't start up with that driver.....caused me
    all kinds of headaches had to do a reinsall from scratch. As is it is just
    my media centre PC I think I will just stick to SP2 as SP3 also appears to
    cause media centre issues as well!

    Elsiehar, Jan 2, 2009
  5. Elsiehar

    smlunatick Guest

    Which wireless configuration system are you using? D-Link offers
    their own configuration control system or you can use the Wireless
    Zero Configuration built into XP. Do not use both.

    smlunatick, Jan 4, 2009