Wondering about Web Hosting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TJ, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    I've been considering purchasing a domain name and hiring a host for my
    stupid little family/friends-oriented website.

    What I'm worried about is having all my contact information available to any
    yutz who can do a, "Who Is".

    Anyone know of an affordable way around this registration/hosting "problem"?

    I mean, I'm not talking about a lot of traffic here. Maybe a gig/year (if
    that)? I'm more concerned about my privacy. And for you doubters? I
    really *am* talking about a dopey little persoanl website that's already up
    and running on the Comcast server because they give me 20MB free.

    http://home.comcast.net/~glade/index.htm is where it currently resides and
    it's fine by us, except for the URL. Especially that Tilda (~) they
    require.

    What I'm looking for is someone to host my website (after I buy a domain
    name) that won't charge me an arm and a leg for my minimal traffic.

    I remember someone named 'Tina' from affordablehosting.com who used to post
    in this group occasionally, so I checked it out.

    Suffice to say, $50.00/month is not "affordable" to me.

    However? If that's the going rate? .... I'll just keep-on keepin' on with
    Comcast.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Tom

    TJ, Oct 1, 2003

  2. TJ

    Jammer Guest

    Password protect it.

    Jammer, Oct 1, 2003

  3. TJ

    Brian H¹© Guest

    TJ said:
    I'm not sure what the rules and regs are like your side of the pond, but over
    here, if you are not running a site for business purposes you can declare it as
    such and keep your personal details private.
    Try buying a dot org instead of a dot com as dor com is usually commercial.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 1, 2003
  4. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Thanks. That was helpful. Not.

    TJ, Oct 1, 2003
  5. TJ

    TJ Guest

    See? That's just the thing. Everywhere I go to attempt to register a
    domain name requires personal information. Now, that's understandable for
    billing reasons, but I wouldn't like to have my name, address, phone #, and
    worst of all my *primary* email address available to spammers via a "WhoIs".

    And it doesn't seem to matter if I'm trying to buy a dot com, a dot org, or
    a dot tv.

    Thanks for your reply.

    TJ, Oct 1, 2003
  6. TJ

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:59:21 -0400, TJ wrote:

    https://registrar.godaddy.com/default.asp?isc=&se=+&from_app=&authGuid=

    "They're white hat, and almost unique in that even as a registrar they will kill
    spammer's accounts, and pursue abuse complaints."

    Mara, Oct 1, 2003
  7. TJ

    Brian H¹© Guest

    TJ said:
    Supplying your details is necessary, what details they make available is another
    thing.
    If you want to contact me via e-mail I'll see how I can help.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 1, 2003
  8. TJ

    TJ Guest

    TJ, Oct 1, 2003
  9. TJ

    Steve Guest

    I've just registered my first .co.uk
    It cost me £6 for registering (two years) and £20 for one year hosting with
    unlimited e-mail accounts, 500Mb and no transfer fee to move the hosting
    anywhere else. That's abot 30 GBP including tax, which I thought was quite a
    good deal.

    When signing up there was a check box to opt out from Nominet listing, so
    although there is basic information available from a WhoIs enquiery,
    personal details are kept private.

    I tried a WhoIs, and have shown below what came out
    (I've replaced actual details with *my details*)
    Not sure how it works with .com names because Nominet don't deal with those,
    but I don't think there is much of a problem with .co.uk

    Domain Name:
    *mydomain*.co.uk

    Registrant:
    *my name*

    Registrant's Address:

    THE REGISTRANT IS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS ELECTED TO
    HAVE THEIR ADDRESS OMITTED FROM THE WHOIS DATABASE

    Registrant's Agent:
    Fasthosts Internet Limited [Tag = FASTHOSTS]

    Relevant Dates:
    Registered on: *Registered date*
    Renewal Date: *Renewal Date*
    Last updated: *Updated date*

    Registration Status:
    Registration request being processed

    Name servers listed in order:
    *name server*.co.uk *DNS1*
    *name server2*.co.uk *DNS2*

    WHOIS database last updated at 01:55:00 01-Oct-2003

    Steve, Oct 1, 2003
  10. https://registrar.godaddy.com/dbp.asp?isc=&se=+&from_app=&authGuid=

    <<Make your domain registration private!
    Protect yourself from spam, scams, prying eyes and worse.

    Only $12.00/yr! (plus domain registration fee)

    Today's Special! Just $9.00/yr plus domain registration fee!

    Did you know that when you register a domain your name, address, email
    address and phone number are immediately made available to anyone who wants
    to see it? Thats right. Your personal information is exposed 24 hours a day,
    everyday, to anyone, anywhere.

    You have the power to change this. With a private ("unlisted") registration
    through Domains By ProxyT (our affiliate company), registering a domain name
    doesn't mean sacrificing your privacy.

    Your new or existing domain is registered in the name of Domains By
    Proxy -- so its information is made public -- not yours.
    You retain full benefits of domain registration. You can cancel, sell, renew
    or transfer your domain; set-up name servers for your domain and resolve
    disputes involving your domain.
    The patent-supported registration and email handling systems let you manage
    and control all postal mail and email addressed to the domain you have
    registered, as well as the domain's contact information.
    And your domain registration is safe -- it's insured against loss by
    American International Insurance Company -- AND backed by Go Daddy's
    guarantee!
    But don't even think about using a private registration to transmit Spam,
    violate the law or engage in morally objectionable activities.>>

    Used to be afforablehosting.com was just that. They even had free websites
    for people whose domains were registered with them. http://doteasy.com
    still does this, and offers 10 pop3 email accounts, 1 GB bandwidth, 20 MB
    storage and autoresponders for the price of a domain registration
    ($25/year). All of my domains (except one in Tonga) are registered with Go
    Daddy, but this is a good deal too. But if you want to use Domains by
    ProxyT, you gotta go with Go Daddy.
    "WhoIs".

    Who said you have to use your "primary" email address for your registration.
    Besides, whatever you use can be updated, if necessary.

    John Seeliger, Oct 1, 2003
  11. GoDaddy offers private reg through DomainsByProxy. I dunno if others
    do, or if DBP and GD are different fingers on the same hand.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 1, 2003
  12. TJ

    Petit Alexi Guest

    <snip>

    Would you mind a .co.uk tld?

    I know someone who has a domain registered and the information on a whois
    says that it is a personal site and the registrant[1] has opted to withhold
    the personal data.

    Purplecloud were quite good, and reasonably priced, and they haven't
    appeared in NANAS/NANAE.

    You could ask them about other tlds, maybe they know more. Off the top of
    my head they were charging 8 UKP to register a domain for two years, and
    then 10 UKP per year, for 40 MB of webspace and 250 MB transfer per month.

    [1] Registrant is probably the wrong word, I mean the person who buys the
    domain.

    I hope this has been useful to you. If it hasn't please let me know why
    and I'll have another go at a better answer. My cats were playing with a
    scrunched up piece of paper this morning; very cute!

    Petit Alexi, Oct 1, 2003
  13. TJ

    Mara Guest

    You're welcome. :)

    Mara, Oct 1, 2003
  14. TJ

    Mara Guest

    They are affiliates. :)

    Mara, Oct 1, 2003
  15. We don't charge $50 a month...never have. We have package that starts at
    $25 per YEAR...and if you use the Discount Code in my sig, you can save even
    more.

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Oct 1, 2003

  16. WE'RE NOT AFFORDABLEHOSTING...WE ARE AFFORDABLEHOST.COM

    Sheez. :p

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Oct 1, 2003
  17. Sorry about the mistake, Tina. It has been a while since I have been to
    alt.www.webmaster and I forgot the name of your company and the one
    mentioned in the post sounded like it.

    John Seeliger, Oct 1, 2003
  18. Meaning DBP *only* does biz with GD registrants?

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 2, 2003