    area.

    Is it because we use words like, submit, dispose, abort,
    terminate, etc

    theseeker, Dec 1, 2003

  2. theseeker

    Lorne Smith Guest

    This has generally been the case since computers began. There are more
    women entering the industry every year, which is good, but it still tends to
    be dominated by men. I guess generally women are less interested in
    computer technology, probably seeing it as still somewhat "geeky". Still,
    times are changing and more & more women are becoming programmers...

    Lorne

    Lorne Smith, Dec 1, 2003

  3. theseeker

    Guest Guest

    This applies not only to computer engineering but to engineering in general
    or, to be even more general, any type of job that is not socially oriented
    in nature. Educated women who have a choice their profession simply lean in
    the direction of education, healthcare, law, business, etc.

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003
  4. theseeker

    emg Guest

    When I started in the industry in the late 70s, I was often the only woman
    in IT department meetings. There might have been 2 or three women for every
    30 men. These days I see 30-40% of the IT department are women. Now, these
    are business-based IT departments - - I can't speak for scientific apps,
    robotics, medical, etc. I don't know where you work (or in what country)
    but things are hardly as bad in the U.S. as your post seems to suggest.

    emg, Dec 1, 2003
  5. theseeker

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Hi all, I just want to know why there aren't much women
    Either they want to have babies are they are troglodytes, either way a
    company would not want to employ any of those types of women..

    Kline Sphere, Dec 1, 2003
  6. theseeker

    Guest Guest

    I asked that same question not long ago.

    It quickly became apparent to me, that gender does not
    matter to MEN in general or to MEN in the industry.

    If you are up for the challenge, and like a good fight,
    you can make it, man, woman or other.

    This industry has always been driven by people who are
    the best.......who can out-do everyone else.
    Therefore, it is EXTREMELY competetive in it's nature.

    It's really competetive, and men are better at butting
    heads with other men.....women find it intimidating to
    play this game.

    So, you have a good probablity of success if you are
    TENACIOUS, yet gracious, NON-INTIMIADING, but
    tough,....like to work 20 hours a day.....and can defend
    yourself and your work..........( oh, and make sure that
    others don't steal your work ).

    Hee Hee that last one was a joke.

    That's why this website is so fun.
    Gotta be tough and not ask stupid questions, or "your
    out"...

    Just my thoughts.....

    Anyone know who this is??

    :)

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003
  7. theseeker

    Guest Guest

    Kline!!!

    How could you suggest that!!

    I don't want babies, but I am a troglodyte.
    I though troglodytes were good?
    I go to Gold's and sit at my computer.
    But I don't really go out....but I don't look bad.

    So what if I never leave the house?
    Thought that's what a company would want.
    NO?

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003
  8. theseeker

    Guest Guest

    Anyone Care?

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003
  9. theseeker

    Guest Guest

    I can speak for this area.....where I'm from.....2% women
    in scientific area's would be an overestimation.

    I don't know if it's the "quality" of the women...or lack
    of women.

    Most women I've seen in the scientific side...??? are
    foreign women.

    That's neither good nor bad, just facts.

    I hope that helps.

    How many women MCSD's are there?

    Anyone know?

    If you are out there, lets start a club.
    girlgeeks isn't very fun, and no one responds.

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003
  10. theseeker

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Hey I'd employ Women all the time, I think you're all great!

    However, the bit about babies is true. Many companies won't employ
    [younger] Women because after a few months, a year or so, they get
    pregnant and off they go.

    Kline Sphere, Dec 1, 2003
  11. theseeker

    Kline Sphere Guest

    So, you have a good probablity of success if you are
    .... And still have my supper on the table ready for me when I get home
    from the ball game.

    Kline Sphere, Dec 1, 2003
  12. theseeker

    Kline Sphere Guest

    yone know who this is??

    Where's the picture?

    Kline Sphere, Dec 1, 2003
  13. theseeker

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Anyone Care?
    Don't know 'till I've seen the picture.

    Kline Sphere, Dec 1, 2003
  14. theseeker

    Kline Sphere Guest

    ..... I think you'll go a long way.

    Kline Sphere, Dec 1, 2003
  15. theseeker

    Kline Sphere Guest

    How many women MCSD's are there?

    I know of none, although I don't know any male mcsd's either!

    Kline Sphere, Dec 1, 2003
  16. theseeker

    Consultant Guest

    hey, i saw a female programmer on survivor the other night, she was kinda
    hot ;-)

    Consultant, Dec 1, 2003
  17. theseeker

    Guest Guest

    Gez Christ!

    I haven't finished dinner yet, hon!

    You like it well done, so you'll have to wait a little.

    :)

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003
  18. theseeker

    Guest Guest

    Yeah. "Mamma bear" is only interested in taking care of
    the babes..........quality of work could go
    down....possibly.....I have to agree with that.

    All I have is a dog.

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003
  19. theseeker

    Guest Guest

    Where do I send it?

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003
  20. theseeker

    Guest Guest

    You MAY care depending on what picture I send......hmmm.

    I don't think I can bet the Survivor programmer....and
    you'll just be doing a side-by-side and I don't like that
    kind of pressure......rejection.....competition......

    Let's do a pseudocode-off!!
    Would that impress?

    JJ

    Short?