    I mean I can try to connect to my PC, but how does it know that I'm
    trying to connect to it?

    Does it have an IP address while it is turned off? or is it done by MAC?

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 4, 2004

  2. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    SNOman Guest

    It's done by MAC address and provided your network card and drivers is
    capable of this all you have to do is send a wakeup packet to it.

    I presume there would be no issues doing this over wireless as you are
    still sending a packet to a MAC address.

    SNOman, Mar 4, 2004

  3. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    SNOman Guest

    I actually use this for copper based wakeup

    http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm

    SNOman, Mar 4, 2004
  4. nice... works for machines in my office, now... anyone know any wireless
    adapters that support WOL?

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 4, 2004
  5. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    SNOman Guest

    found this in a google thread so it appears that at least Netgear
    does, but this is from the wireless to the wired, it doesn;t say about
    the other way.

    --------------
    I have a laptop using a netgear 802.11a nic, and the companion netgear
    WAP is
    plugged into a lan port on my linksys router. I just tried your
    experiment and
    can WOL my wired systems just fine from the wireless laptop. I use a freebie
    applet (MC-WOL.exe) to generate the magic packet and aim it at the wired
    nic's
    MAC address, and it works just like it does when I run the same applet from
    one of my wired nodes.

    SNOman, Mar 5, 2004
  6. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Daniel Olsen Guest

    Sent this the other day, then couldn't understand why it didn't show up in
    the group. Seems I accidently sent it to Dave's email address rather then
    the group. Sorry Dave, guess I shouldn't be using usenet when I'm drunk, as
    others have previously found out :)

    As others have mentioned, it sends a "magic packet" to your network card
    that turns on the computer. Your computer must supply power to the network
    card, and the card listens in on the lan for a packet (or a few all the same
    one after each other) which is it's signal to turn the computer on. Some
    later motherboards don't need the wol cable from the nic to the motherboard,
    but the earlier ones do. I use my laptop (wireless) to turn on my main
    machine. Then I use remote desktop connection to connect, dial the modem and
    browse the internet, read emails etc all from the laptop. When I'm finished,
    I shut down the machine from my laptop (psshutdown). Now if Woosh would
    hurry up and come to Wellington, I wouldn't need to go through my main
    machine (which has the modem connection).

    Dan.

    Daniel Olsen, Mar 6, 2004