    double click and WMP 11 automatically plays the file.

    It seems an unimportant point, but why can't it do that with wma
    files? Is there a problem somewhere?

    marc52, Jul 1, 2010

  2. marc52

    83LowRider Guest

    Right click on the file, choose OPEN WITH, and set it
    as the default player. Or better yet, get VLC player and
    be done with Media Player forever.
    www.videolan.org

    83LowRider, Jul 1, 2010

  3. marc52

    marc52 Guest

    Choosing OPEN WITH only played the song that one time. It didn't
    change the main problem.

    I then RIGHT clicked and chose PROPERTIES.

    I then chose Opens With and chose Windows Media Player.

    What I don't understand is that the icon for WMP was already showing
    for the file. Oh, well, it's working now.

    As for changing over to another program, I'd rather not. In the past
    I've run into problems using other software as default instead of the
    main program. I don't know enough to get myself out of some of those
    problems, so I'll put up with the present defaults.

    Thanks much for helping.

    marc52, Jul 1, 2010
  4. marc52

    chuckcar Guest

    Yes, you have another video playing program that *is* the default to play
    windows media files. Naturally without us knowing what this program is, we
    can't comment further. However the easiest solution is to uninstall that
    other program from either add/remove programs or the uninstall icon from
    its branch in the start menu.

    chuckcar, Jul 2, 2010
  5. marc52

    83LowRider Guest

    I should have made myself clearer when I said to 'set it
    as the default player'. I was going from memory... When
    you chose OPEN WITH, you then go to the bottom box
    and click CHOOSE PROGRAM. Af that point you can
    check the box that says ALWAYS USE THE SELECTED
    PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS KIND OF FILE. That will
    associate wma files to Media Player.

    As a sidenote, if you were to have googled anything
    pertaining to media players, you'd see that WMP is
    probably the LEAST liked/desired, and that VLC is
    likely the most popular. It plays everything you throw at
    it without having to go looking for codecs. The association
    to any media type file can always be changed again by
    means of the above paragraph.

    83LowRider, Jul 2, 2010
  6. marc52

    marc52 Guest

    The Properties way I did it also works. That problem is solved.

    I only use WMP for playing mp3s through my comp with it's speaker
    system. I don't do any fancy stuff. I use other software for tags,
    play lists, etc. I only do rather fundamental things and don't want
    to bog things down with new software. I find that from past
    experiences, the less software I put on a comp, the less problems I
    have with conflicts, etc.

    I guess I'm kinda simple minded. :eek:)

    marc52, Jul 2, 2010