WLAN: from Laptop to Laptop to router ...???

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I would like to ask if the connection method described below would be
    possible and, if yes, how.

    I am using the following equipment:
    1.a router that is connected to the Internet (DSL) and to the home network
    (Ethernet)
    2. a laptop (L1) that is connected to the home network (Ethernet) and has a
    WLAN card
    3. another laptop (L2) that has a WLAN card (yes, it also has Ethernet...
    but I want to use WLAN)

    What I would like to do now is, to create a wireless network on L1, and use
    L2 to access the internet using the router via L1, like this:

    L2 ---wlan---> L1 ---ethernet---> Router ---dsl---> Internet

    Thanks in advance,
    Taz

    Guest, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Guest

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    As a first step configure the Wireless part of the two computers to Ad-Hoc communication
    and make sure that they can communicate. If they communicate Ad-Hoc, you can use ICS
    for the second Routing. This method sometimes works some time Not and it might be
    lacking in Wireless safety. Ad-HOC and ICS here, http://tinyurl.com/2zkon

    As a long shot (Not knowing you actual needs that require this type of configuration),
    you can get this week a "humble Wireless Cable/DSL Router at CompUSA for $2.99 (after
    rebate). http://tinyurl.com/7naf7

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Oct 14, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hey,

    thanks a lot, I'll give that a try. What would I need to configure as
    gateway on L1 and L2 ? Would it be:

    L1 (gateway: router)
    L2 (gateway: L1)

    Cheers,