    i have a fixed internet connection on my desktop and i would like to use this connection to have wireless on my notebook.It is an adsl connection.what excatly should i do to have a wireless connection on my notebook.the notebook has a wlan card.But should i buy a wlan router or what?.please help me.....

    thanx
    kudu

    KUDU, Jul 28, 2006

  2. KUDU

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It sounds like you need a wireless router, and you would hook up your ADSL connection to it, then provide a hard-wire connection from one of the router's wired ports to your desktop machine. Standard stuff, except I don't know if wireless routers have any issues with an ADSL connection. Does that come with a ADSL modem that outputs to standard Ethernet? If so, it should work with standard wireless routers, so get one that's on sale. I prefer to avoid Linksys, and I would go with D-Link or Netgear wireless routers.

    bigal, Jul 28, 2006

  3. KUDU

    alpha1

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    you need to buy a wifi router that support your wireless device (it is always advisable to by the same brand as your wifi card etc.).Make sure it is compatible with your adsl modem.

    then follow the manual.

    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
    alpha1, Jul 28, 2006