WKWDADDN.DLL - Winword caused an invalid page fault

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jersie0, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. jersie0

    jersie0 Guest

    This is in Windows 98 using Microsoft Word 2000.

    I am trying to do a simple mail merge. I have a text/tabs file that I
    created using Microsoft Works spreadsheet -> save as -> text and tabs.
    I have a Word document incorporating the data from that file (the data
    file is 15 records, each with three fields - nothing big).

    The merge happens fine. The problem comes when I try to save the Word
    document (the template with the merge fields in it; not the output
    created after the merge). When I try to save, I get this message:

    Winword caused an invalid page fault in module WKWDADDN.DLL

    Then if I try to open the document again, it's "locked" and the only
    way to get into it is to restart Windows, a time-consuming PITA.

    And when I do open it, it's of course the document minus the link to
    the data file.

    The only thing I'd consider ununsual about my Word template is that it
    does have some small simple WordArt in it. But it's a one-page
    document, and there's nothing really complex.

    Of course, I could just manually copy and paste to get what I want
    without using merge, but I'm being bugged by the existence of this
    problem. What's going on?

    jersie0, Jun 1, 2004

  2. jersie0

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Try reading these documents from Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241758 (what it
    is/does)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255957

    Toolman Tim, Jun 1, 2004

  3. jersie0

    Trent SC Guest

  4. jersie0

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I just found this too:
    Q: When trying to close a Word file, I get a message that "Winword has
    caused an error in wkwdaddn.dll." What to do?

    A: On your PC, Microsoft Works Suite has been configured to add a utility to
    Word to give it database capabilities.

    If you do not start Word from the Works Task Launcher, that utility, also
    known as a plug-in, gets confused and causes the crash you are describing.

    One way to avoid the problem is to start in the Launcher.

    If you want to start Word without the Launcher and if you are not using Word
    to work with databases, uninstall the plug-in.

    Go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Locate "Word in Works Suite
    add-in" and click on Remove. Word, of course, will still work.

    From: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/7046032.htm?1c

    Toolman Tim, Jun 1, 2004
  5. jersie0

    jersie0 Guest

    Thanks. I removed it (for some reason, it required me to insert the
    original Works CD) and my problem vanished.

    jersie0, Jun 1, 2004
  6. jersie0

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You're welcome!