    Witch cisco router should i buy ?
    And not a expensive one.

    Regards Henrik

    henrikcj, Nov 1, 2006

  2. wrote in @f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    Which interfaces and what features do you need? BGP peering, default route
    or...?

    Regards, Lars Christensen

    Lars L. Christensen, Nov 1, 2006

  3. So you have the budget to purchase a 100MB internet connection but no
    money for the router. Thats funny. Nickel and dime store is ----> that way

    George W. Bush, Nov 1, 2006
  4. What traffic level do you need to support? Do you need to be able
    to support 100 mbit/s in each direction?
    If you *do* need 100 mbit/s full duplex, then cisco does not
    *have* an "inexpensive" router in that performance niche -- the
    last time I checked, the least expensive Cisco *router* that supported
    100 mbit/s wire speed was the 3745.

    You may wish to reconsider whether you really need a router. What
    features are essential? Because Cisco has a number of devices that
    it classifies as *switches* that have more than enough performance
    for what you listed. A number of those "switches" offer advanced
    layer 3 (routing) services.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 1, 2006
  5. henrikcj

    henrikcj Guest

    Hey All.

    Well we are not gonna buy 100mbit internet. Our server it in a "server
    Park" if you know what that is :p

    I just want a normal defualt cisco router that supports 100mbit
    internet. Our server is mostly Webserver and FTP connection. Thats all.

    henrikcj, Nov 1, 2006
  6. Hello ,
    Why not go for a firewall of some sort instead?

    Fortigate FG-60 should give you enough performance plus some security.

    Helge Olav Helgesen, Nov 1, 2006
  7. It sounds as if you do not require the ability to handle two DS3
    channels (2 x 44.736 megabits/s). It sounds like what you need
    is a router with WAN interface that is 100BaseT. Or is it 100BaseFX
    that you need? If you -are- looking for a fibre connection, then SX
    or LH/LX or SZ ??
    Unfortunately you did not answer my question,
    "What traffic level do you need to support?"

    If *all* you need is a router with a 100BaseT interface and
    it must be "inexpensive", then go to the nearest electronics or
    "business supplies" store and buy a 5 port router for about 25 euros.

    Though with the requirements you have defined so far, I don't see why
    you don't just plug your server -directly- into the infrastructure
    provided by the server farm. You haven't given us any reason yet
    to think that you need anything more than a 100 Mbit/s ethernet interface,
    which even the least expensive NIC (Network Interface Card) supports
    these days. Why bother with a router at all?

    Walter Roberson, Nov 1, 2006
  8. henrikcj

    henrikcj Guest

    henrikcj, Nov 1, 2006
  9. henrikcj

    henrikcj Guest

    Walter Roberson skrev:Okay. At the server park, we got 100mbit Internet. S0, i just waht to
    know witch cisco router that supports 100mbit. And i need a router
    because we only got 1 ip adress.
    So witch cisco router does support that? And ignorrer that it has to be
    cheap.

    henrikcj, Nov 1, 2006
  10. You need a firewall most likely. Your routing is being done at the
    server farm most likely. You will plug the ethernet cable provided to
    you from the server farm to the firewall and configure the firewall's
    interface as outside, then you take another patch cable and plug it from
    the firewall to the server you are using (or switch) and configure that
    interface to be the inside interface. Then you configure the firewall to
    perform what is called NAT to appear to come from the external interface
    IP address. If this is all you are doing you could look into an ASA
    firewall from Cisco http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=792589
    Or a watchguard firewall from watchguard
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=577856

    However these are just examples you can certainly step down into a
    smaller firewall if need be.

    George W. Bush, Nov 1, 2006

  11. Cisco's routers that support 100Mbps start around $5000-$7000, but
    what you get for that is alot of stuff that you won't need. They have
    other devices that do what you want, but they don't call them
    routers. If you are getting a direct ethernet feed in, most likely you
    don't need a router (as what Cisco defines as a router).

    As other people have suggested, you most likely want a firewall, one
    that will do NAT, probably some sort of VIP mapping, and as a bonus,
    throw in some security and filtering.

    Personally, I'd go with a Juniper/Netscreen SSG-5 or FortiGate F60A
    or F100A firewalls, although Cisco has their ASA boxes as well.

    That much more closely matches what you are wanting, than a cisco router.

    It'll let you throw up multiple machines behind your single IP, map in
    some ports externally, block attacks, etc.

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 2, 2006
  12. Hello Henrik,

    You may wish to investigate the Cisco Router Port Matrix:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-router-port-matrix.htm

    As for pricing, you may wish to investigate comparison pricing of
    SMARTnet Eligible, Fully Licensed, Warranty Same As New, Factory
    Refurbished Cisco:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-inventory-search.htm

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese