Wise FTP & Geocities problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Watcher of the Skies, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. Could some kind soul tell me where I'm going wrong. I'm trying to use Wise
    FTP to connect to my Yahoo! Geocities site root directory. The instructions
    given on the Yahoo config advice page is "Note: You don't need to enter a
    remote directory, as your user name and password will automatically bring
    you to your root directory."

    I have entered the other information given to me by Yahoo! in the relevant
    fields in the connection dialog box
    yet, although it makes a connection, it wont allow me to transfer files to
    the root as can be seen from the log below. I am at a loss as to where to go
    to solve the problem.

    This is how I fill the connection dialog box
    http://uk.geocities.com/a198kdb/wise.jpg

    If I enter the name of a sub directory in the "initial directory" field of
    Wise it works fine!

    Any help would be much welcomed

    ! Connecting to ftp.uk.geocities.com...
    < 220-Welcome to the Yahoo! GeoCities FTP server.
    < 220-Need help? Get all details at:
    < 220-http://help.yahoo.com/help/uk/geo/gftp/
    < 220-
    < 220-No anonymous logins accepted.
    < 220 Yahoo!
    < 331-Enter your Yahoo! GeoCities member password
    < 331
    < 230-You are using 57.1% of your subscribed disk space
    < 230-You have 6.441 MB of space available
    < 230
    < 215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-199506
    < 550 Permission denied on server. You are restricted to your account.
    < 550 Permission denied on server. You are restricted to your account.
    ! Unable to connect to ftp.uk.geocities.com! (550 Permission denied on
    server. You are restricted to your account.)

    Watcher of the Skies, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Watcher of the Skies

    °Mike° Guest

    You are lucky; I have NEVER been able to connect to
    Yahoo Geocities via ftp, even after repeated communications
    with Yahoo. Hell, I can't even sign in directly via the
    web interface; I have to go through "My Yahoo" -- Yahoo
    SUCKS!

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 3, 2004