Wireless Zero Configuration - updated problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Sep 12, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am having a problem with a set of laptops running Windows XP Pro (w/SP2).

    This is all on a wireless connection:

    When I log on with the domain administrator account, all is well, however,
    when my regular domain users log in, they are able to authenticate against
    the domain, Active Directory enabled scripts and policies run, folder
    redirections, mapped drives, etc connect, and then the Wireless Zero
    Configuration service appears to stop as they lose their wireless connection.

    If I re-enable the service, it works fine until the machine is rebooted.

    UPDATE: the service starts fine on the default domain (the domain the
    machines are joined to during RIS) however, the service stops starting (can I
    even say that?) after I rejoin them to a child domain.

    Any suggestions?

    Guest, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I figured it out.

    The machines (Dell Latitude F510's) use an Intel onboard wireless card. The
    driver for the card loads a WLANKEEPER service that runs the irritating Intel
    software. SO even though I tell Windows to manage the wireless card, the
    Intel stuff kicks it offline,

    Stopping the WLANKEEPER service and setting it to disabled allows me to
    re-enable WZC and lets Windows manage my wireless word.

    Woot.

    Guest, Sep 12, 2005

  3. Guest

    danfranceski Guest

    Matthew -

    I have a similar problem on an HP Pavilion laptop with a built-in
    wireless card from Broadcom. When the machine reboots, or when a user
    logs out and another logs in, the Wireless Zero Configuration utility
    stops and the internet connection is lost. I am trying to find out how
    to stop this form happening by reading posts in this topic group.

    Perhaps my laptop has a similar WLANKEEPER service that I should
    disable. How do you find the WLANKEEPER and how do you disable it?

    Thanks.
    Dan

    danfranceski, Sep 13, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Dan.

    It is listed as a service under Services. Easiest way to get there is to
    Right Click MY COMPUTER and choose Manage from the list. Expand the newly
    open window where it says Services and Applications. Then look at Services
    to see the list.

    Hope that helps ...

    Guest, Sep 13, 2005
  5. Guest

    Greg Guest

    Just to shortcut that, go to start/run and type services.msc and hit enter
    to bring that up.

    Greg, Sep 13, 2005