Wireless Zero Configuration Service Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    On a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2, apparently after installing
    automatic updates last week, the following happens at login:
    Login is successful, the user's desktop background appears and that is it.
    No taskbar, no desktop icons, no start button. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does nothing.
    But if you press the Escape key at this point, the desktop appears and the
    computer finishes booting normally.

    Using MSCONFIG I have determined the problem to be the Wireless Zero
    Configuration Service. If I disable it, the computer will boot normally but
    the user will not be able to connect to his wireless network. I have
    installed the latest device drivers. I have even reinstalled Service Pack 2.
    Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

    The 3 updates applied this week were: KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Guest

    Clark Guest

    This is just a guess, but the first one appears to be an update for Windows
    and Office. You might check any settings for those as far as security.

    The second one is for the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. It is
    probably doing something or is having a conflict with your anti-virus
    software. Check the Event viewer to see if any errors show up at boot.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891717/

    The last one I could not find much information about.

    My best guess would be the KB890830 one.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for replying. I have looked through all the event logs but there are
    no errors.

    Guest, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Guest

    Michael Guest

    I've run into the same problem, on seperate laptops.
    If the wireless is disabled in the OS, they log in fine, if not, it takes 2+
    minutes.

    I think I've narrowed it down to the KB903235 as causing the problem,
    exactly what about it I don't know yet, I'm still trying things.

    Michael, Aug 4, 2005