Wireless Zero Config Profile in Group Policy

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by wauger, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. wauger

    wauger Guest

    Hello All,
    I need some clarification regarding one of the configuration options
    in the WZC profile for the GPO. When defining a wireless policy for my
    AD users there is an option stating "Use Windows to configure my
    wireless network settings". If I check this option and push the
    profile out to my AD users it seems to have some adverse affects on
    those running third-party supplicant software (like Intel or
    Broadcom). It seems to behave like only WZC should be controlling the
    wireless adapter and therefore will not relinquish control over to the
    third party adapter. To make this worse this issue is only affecting
    "some" users and it seems to behave differently for those users who
    have different/various wireless adapters.

    Does anyone know exactly what functionality this feature has? Is there
    documentation somewhere online (at Microsoft) that explains this
    detail?

    Thanks much,
    -Paul

    wauger, Feb 5, 2007

  2. wauger

    Guest Guest

    If you select your clients to "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
    settings" which is what you are forcing through GPO, then WZC is going to
    take over. If this is your preferred method, than any Third Party software
    should in theory be overridden. Now is that for all, well, obviously you are
    running into some conflicts. Do you have particular client software that is
    causing an issue?

    Thanks, Hope this helps

    Guest, Feb 7, 2007

  3. wauger

    wauger Guest

    David,
    We have a mix environment and for a matter of time will require the
    use of third-party supplicant software to support a proprietary
    wireless method. We are migrating away from that method currently, but
    we will still need to support it. Are aware of any MS documentation
    that specifically describes in detail this functionality within the
    GPO? Thanks
    -Paul

    wauger, Feb 7, 2007
  4. wauger