wireless zero config not displaying any signals, if any third partywireless client takes control and

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Naresh Samba, Jun 6, 2009.

  1. Naresh Samba

    Naresh Samba Guest

    I am using a Odyssey Funk client as my wifi client.

    1) started funk client, funk started managing wifi
    2) exited funk client
    3) wireless zero config, says somebody else is managing wifi
    connections, i restarted wzc service and asked wzc to take control of
    the client.
    4) if i go to available wireless networks, It says "There are no
    networks in your range, make sure your wireless switch is on". I
    checked my radio switch and it is on when this message happens

    I see following errors in wzc tracelogs:

    [3076] 08:33:41:805: WzcReadFromIntlHandleCompletion:
    Error=-1073741536
    [3076] 08:33:41:805: InternalWzcReadFromIntlHandle: ReadFile failed
    with error 6
    [3076] 08:33:41:805: WzcReadFromIntlHandleCompletion:
    WzcReadFromIntlHandle error 6
    [1548] 08:33:41:805: ##Assert deviceio.c:392## pIntf80211Capability in
    INTF_CONTEXT is not initialized to null

    Fix1:
    1) Plug in broadband cable and restart wzc service

    Fix2:
    2) execute netsh winsock reset and restart the machine

    what is the reason for this error, Is there any fix for this issue
    other than wat i mentioned?
    I saw this error mostly on windows xpn sp3

    Naresh Samba, Jun 6, 2009

  2. Naresh Samba

    Pavel A. Guest

    Why do you switch between Odissey and WZC?
    Doesn't it work fine when you just use one of them?

    -- pa

    Pavel A., Jun 6, 2009

  3. Hi
    In some cases Exit the Wireless utility is not enough.
    Make sure that there is No service related to Funk thta is running, look at
    the StratUp folder and take out any entry related to the Funk Util, and
    reboot.
    Be aware that some vendors organize their Wireless so that if their Util. is
    gone so are the card Drivers.
    In such case you have to search for independent Drivers (look at the
    Wireless Chipset OEM manufacturer's support site).
    Do not ask me why some vendors do this ;). Some time marketing is more
    important than Technological considerations.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jun 6, 2009
  4. Naresh Samba

    Naresh Samba Guest

    Hi Pravel,

    There are some use cases where..i have to switch between wireless
    clients, where a user uses one wifi client during corporate network
    and other when he is in roaming. This thing works fine on most of the
    machines it doesn't happen with every machine

    Naresh Samba, Jun 9, 2009
  5. Naresh Samba

    Naresh Samba Guest

    Hi Jack,

    I am very sure there are no funk services running, this behaviour is
    seen only on few machines. do you want me to attach any logs?

    Naresh Samba, Jun 9, 2009
  6. Naresh Samba

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    If Process Explorer (
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx ) does not any
    thing running concerning Wireless, given every thing that you already did,
    it might be that these computers Network's file system got compromise
    already and the OS needs to be Reinstalled.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Jun 9, 2009
  7. Naresh Samba

    Pavel A. Guest

    Well, error 6 may be ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE.
    This can mean quite a lot of things - a bug in WZC, or in the
    wi-fi device driver, or in the Funk software, or in something else.
    Anyway, 3rd party wireless utilities definitely can coexist with WZC,
    and switch back and forth. PROSet is a good example.

    Good luck.
    -- pa

    Pavel A., Jun 9, 2009