Wireless Zero Config + connection dropping

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I am using Windows XP Home with SP2, and have NTL BB via a cable modem, and
    have wireless networking between two identical computers. My networking
    equipment is the Belkin Cable/DSL Wireless Gateway Router + the 54Mbps USB
    adapter.

    I use the Wireless Zero Configuration Utility for this network, as the
    Belkin one causes my PC to crash. The problem is, every few minutes the
    connection drops and then connects again, giving the annoying message about
    having connected. It always has "very good" connection status.

    How can I stop the connection dropping? It's nothing to do with the power
    saving, no Belkin software is still installed, and Wireless Zero is enabled
    always.

    Thanks, Lewis.

    Guest, Feb 22, 2005

  2. Lewis,

    You might want to check to ensure that you haven't somehow accidentally
    enabled 802.1x on the connection. To do this follow these instructions:
    - Open Network Connections
    - Right-click the connection for which you want to enable or disable IEEE
    802.1x authentication, and then click Properties.
    - Click on the Wireless Networks tab.
    - Highlight the network name you are connecting to and click the Properties
    button.
    - On the Authentication tab, clear the Network access control using IEEE
    802.1X check box.

    Dave
    newsgroup purposes only."
    OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
    included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"

    Dave Puhrmann [MSFT], Mar 5, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for your reply Dave.

    When I go to the place you mentioned, it is all greyed out and a message at
    the bottom says that I cannot use 801.xx as I am not using encryption. When I
    try to use encryption or security settings, the connection doesn't seem to
    work....I must be using the wrong combination because they are supported. It
    is currently set to Open, with encryption Off.

    Connection still dropping.

    Lewis

    Guest, Mar 5, 2005