    there was no change in anything. Network TCP/IP etc looks good. I'm sure
    that I have done more than I can remember right now including reading
    newsgroups. Where do I go from here?

    Guest, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Guest

    Kevin Guest

    Each machine has its own distinct name in the workgroup? As in:
    WORKGROUP NAME: My Office
    Computer 1: Base
    Computer 2: Mobile

    This is the only thing I can think of at the moment. Networking is supposed
    to incredibly easy, if you believe all the hype and advertising. Just turn
    your PC's on and you're networked! Right.

    www.homenethelp.com

    www.practicallynetworked.com

    Try the above links for more information. As if you, and the rest of us,
    weren't confused enough as it is.

    Kevin, Jul 5, 2005

  3. It can take up to 15 minutes after a computer starts up before network
    browsing works. Even after that, network browsing is often
    unreliable.

    Try to access the other computer by typing the other computer's name
    in the Start | Run box preceded by two backslash characters:

    \\computer
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jul 5, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    For Kevin. - The computer names are unique and the workgroup names are
    common.
    For Steve. - Yesterday and today I tried the \\computer\folder resulting in
    "no network". I fought the router for several hours completely losing the
    internet and everything else such as shareddocs and printer that I had
    previously. I was hoping that I could resolve the XP Wireless Network setup
    that only works other XPs and is not compatible with W98. It is WEP issue
    for security. When I gave up I back tracked to recover what I once had and
    I found that I had gained access to the W98 from the XP. I have no idea
    why! However, when I attempt to gain access to the XP from the W98 I get
    "Enter Network Password". I though that I had resolved that issue when I
    made the logon passwords the same for both computers. I have two questions.
    1) How did I get where I at?? and 2) What do I have to do to resolve the
    "Enter Network Password" problem.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2005
  5. Enable the firewall on your router!

    Windows XP allows networked access by all users. There should be no
    need to use matching user names or passwords on both computers.
    I'm glad that you got there but, I'm sorry to say, I can't tell you
    how you did it. Make a Windows XP restore point so that you can get
    back to it in the future.
    Run the Network Setup Wizard on XP (and only on XP, even if it tells
    you to run it on the other computer). If it detects the Linksys
    router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that connection.
    Otherwise, tell it that the computer connects to the Internet through
    a residential gateway (the router).

    If you've explicitly defined a network password for XP's Guest
    account, enter that password at the prompt on W98.

    To remove a network password from XP's Guest account:

    1. Click Start | Run.
    2. Type "control userpasswords2" in the box and click OK:
    3. Click Guest.
    4. Click Reset Password.
    5. Click OK without entering a new password.

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jul 6, 2005