Wireless sharing between XP Home Edition & Windows 2000 Prof Editi

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bWFsYXJjaA==?=, Oct 30, 2006.

  1. I'll keep this question simple...

    My home [desktop Dell CPU] has the XP Home Edition OS. My work laptop
    currently uses the Windows 2000 Professional OS. I'm having trouble
    sucessfully sharing my home printer(hard-wired to home CPU) with my laptop.
    Several months ago, I disabled the firewall protection on my home CPU and
    still received an error message (along the lines of "the shared computer
    cannont be found) - although I did forget to disable firewall settings when I
    attempted the [failed] sharing function just last week.

    1st question I have is - does XP Home Edition OS support wireless
    networking/sharing [either in general or when crossed with a different OS
    like Windows 2000 Professional] - or do I need to have the XP Professional OS
    to successfully share [a printer]?

    If yes - is this strictly a firewall disablement issue or am I missing
    something else?

    Thanks in advance!
    --
    MLA

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFsYXJjaA==?=, Oct 30, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWFsYXJjaA==?=

    Malke Guest

    malarch wrote:

    > I'll keep this question simple...
    >
    > My home [desktop Dell CPU] has the XP Home Edition OS. My work laptop
    > currently uses the Windows 2000 Professional OS. I'm having trouble
    > sucessfully sharing my home printer(hard-wired to home CPU) with my
    > laptop. Several months ago, I disabled the firewall protection on my
    > home CPU and still received an error message (along the lines of "the
    > shared computer cannont be found) - although I did forget to disable
    > firewall settings when I attempted the [failed] sharing function just
    > last week.
    >
    > 1st question I have is - does XP Home Edition OS support wireless
    > networking/sharing [either in general or when crossed with a different
    > OS like Windows 2000 Professional] - or do I need to have the XP
    > Professional OS to successfully share [a printer]?
    >
    > If yes - is this strictly a firewall disablement issue or am I missing
    > something else?

    File-sharing between Windows machines has nothing to do with whether one
    or more of those machines is connecting to the lan via a wireless
    router or ethernet.

    Since XP Home only authenticates as Guest, create identical user
    accounts and passwords on both machines. If the XP Home machine
    currently doesn't use a password, assign one from the User Accounts
    applet in Control Panel. You can always set the machine to log in
    automatically for your convenience.

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    Do not disable firewalls! Instead, configure them to allow the lan
    traffic as trusted. If you are using the XPSP Windows Firewall, make
    sure you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus
    with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts as a
    firewall. You only want one firewall running. If you have third-party
    firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic
    as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex.
    would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your
    correct subnet.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers