    when the laptop is sending many packets more than it receives and my
    internet access from the laptop is effectively nil. What might be causing
    this? How can I diagnose? TIA!

    Patrick Page, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Patrick Page

    Ryan Younger Guest

    This may indicate inteference. Wireless networks use a protocol named
    Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Avoidance (CSMA/CA). It is
    possible that due to inteference or another factor, ACK (acknowledgement
    frame) commands sent from the AP are not being received by your laptop for a
    specified period of time, this causes the data packet to be resent by your
    laptop, which assumes that the original packet experienced a collision.
    This would explain the increase in packets being sent by your laptop and the
    drop in your internet connection. Have you had any new installations or
    major changes in your environment recently? 802.11b and 802.11g Wireless
    networks use the 2.4Ghz unregulated frequency band and so applicances and
    other devices can interfere with the signal.

    Another possible cause would be a worm infection on your laptop, have you
    ruled this out?

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Patrick Page

    Patrick Page Guest

    Itt seems to have been a bug in Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator that affected
    AVG. The problem went away after I applied the Roxio fix.

    Patrick Page, Nov 24, 2005