    Router seems to not pick up an IP address for my laptop. Unfortunatley
    I do not know too much computer-lingo and maybe am not giving an
    accurate description of the problem....HELP

    ORCHID, Oct 26, 2005

  2. ORCHID

    Kevin Guest

    So your Inspiron 6000, which has the built in Intel ProSet/Wireless modem,
    does not see your D-Link router which is broadcasting your internet
    connection? The laptop modem should offer to connect you to your wireless
    router without any difficulty. Have you checked your firewall settings?

    Kevin, Oct 26, 2005

  3. ORCHID

    JohnF Guest

    Your Inspiron 600 may have a Dell internal wireless or an Intel internal
    wireless.

    In either case, you'll want to use the manufacturer's software (Dell or
    Intel) to manage the wireless connection.

    RULE 1: Learn to distinguish the Window XP wireless icon from the Intel or
    Dell icon. Don't use the Windows XP wireless icon.

    RULE 2: Be sure your Internet connection works well (DSL/Cable/Satellite)
    BEFORE you insert the wirelss router into the picture.

    RULE 3: Your IP address, after inserting the router, will be assigned by the
    router. If your computer is still clinging to the IP address assigned via
    the broadband modem, go to <control panel> <network connections>,
    right-click on the broadband connection, and "repair".

    JohnF, Oct 26, 2005
  4. It may be a little pedantic but the router doesn't pick up and address for
    the laptop as in the laptop gives the router the details UNLESS you manually
    assign IP on the laptop. The router sends the details to the laptop if all
    on auto. If the roadrunner and the d-link use different IP ranges and
    netmasks, asking it to auto assign to the roadrunner, turning that off and
    the d-link on can be the cause of that trouble.

    If that is the case, after the d-link is running, you need to open control
    panel/network connections and right click on the wireless connection and
    disable it and when disabled, enable it again. There are other ways of
    course but that is easiest if you are unsure what else to do. At that point,
    your laptop will try and connect to the router and get the new details.

    There may be other reasons such as you set up encryption on your laptop and
    roadrunner but didn't set up encryption on the d-link. If that is the case,
    you need to remove the encryption to talk to the d-link then set the d-link
    up with encryption and do the same to the laptop after that.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 26, 2005
  5. ORCHID

    Guest Guest

    Diamond,
    I have a similar problem. Installed a USB wireless adapter, can find my
    router and connects to the router OK (64B encrypt). I then click on internet
    explorer and just get blank pages i.e. cannot connect to the internet. ANy
    ideas?

    Guest, Oct 30, 2005
  6. ORCHID

    Tom Lake Guest

    If you're using XP with SP2, then DON'T let Windows manage the connection.
    Use the software that came with the USB wireless adapter.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Oct 30, 2005
  7. ORCHID

    Mercury Guest

    Why?

    I have found WZC to be totally reliable and it has the benefit that you
    don't have to muck around to find which version of the h/w vendor supplied
    s/w is stable enough & reliable enough to use. This leaves only 1 aspect of
    the h/w vendor config to get right - a stable driver.

    I believe in minimalism and dislike extraneous toolbar icons, unnecessary
    apps, the eye candy in the vendor supplied utils does nothing for me. Each
    one has to be learned anew whereas there is only 1 interface to learn about
    with WZC.

    So, I am interested in good reasons, bugs, and so on 'cos I had always been
    advising the other way with 100% success for my customers.

    Mercury, Oct 31, 2005
  8. ORCHID

    Gary Smith Guest

    Your experience accords with mine. The Linksys-provided software could
    maintain a stable connection on our XP SP2 system. The only way I could
    establish and retain a relaible conncetion was to disable the Linksys
    software and use WZC instead.

    Gary Smith, Oct 31, 2005
  9. Yep. It could be your firewall and again could be the old issue of NIC on
    one set of IP numbers and netmask and the router on an entirely different
    set. Your prog supplied with the NIC may connect and do nothing else.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 31, 2005
  10. To be honest, I can set it up either way without a problem. You usually get
    other nifty options with the non-Windows stuff though.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 31, 2005
  11. ORCHID

    Quaoar Guest

    Your RR modem is locked to the MAC address of the computer to which it
    was connected before you tried the laptop. Simply shut down the laptop,
    router, and modem. Leave the modem unpowered for one minute, then
    restart it. When the modem lights have stabilized, power the router,
    then the laptop. Your router should now work just fine since the modem
    is now locked to the MAC address of the router.

    Quaoar, Oct 31, 2005