Wireless Router within established network

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by xFiver, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. xFiver

    xFiver Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to add a linksys wireless router within an intranet in order
    to get wireless access within the building.

    I can set it up, connect to it and get a wireless signal (with access
    to the internet connection).

    My problem is, I'm trying to gain access to network drives. The router
    is setup using ips of: 192.168.1.x while the network IPs start at
    10.0.0.x

    The subnet masks for both the router and the network are the same
    (255.255.255.0)

    How to I bridge the communications gap between the wireless router and
    the network? Ideally, it would be great to do this without having to
    go through the office's network admin (as I'm sure we can all sometimes
    understand).

    Thanks

    xFiver, Aug 24, 2005

  2. xFiver

    FML Guest

    Don't take this the wrong way, but, if you were trying to add a wireless
    router to my business' network without letting the "office's network
    admin" in on it, you would be looking for a job tomorrow. Get your
    network guy involved, it is his job and his responsibility. What you are
    trying to do is not that hard to do, but it does have security implications.

    FML, Aug 24, 2005

  3. xFiver

    xFiver Guest

    Thanks for your reply. I do understand the security implications. My
    12+ years of computer support have given me a lot of insight, and in
    some cases (like this one) more knowledge about wireless networks and
    security than our computer guy.

    I have the wireless router setup with encryption, security; the whole
    deal. I just want cross-talk between them.

    I appreciate your concern with our network's security, though. Could
    you still share with me how it's done?

    xFiver, Aug 25, 2005
  4. xFiver

    FML Guest

    Does your network use static or dynamic ip addressing?

    FML, Aug 25, 2005
  5. xFiver

    xFiver Guest

    the Intranet uses dynamic IPs...

    how come PCs within different IP ranges (but under the same subnet)
    can't talk to each other?

    xFiver, Aug 25, 2005
  6. xFiver

    FML Guest

    The 10.x.x.x intranet and the 192.168.x.x wifi are different networks.
    In order for them to talk you need a "gateway" device.
    If you give the wifi router a static address in the 10.x.x.x network
    (outside of the range being assigned by the DHCP server), and then turn
    off the DHCP server in the wifi router, your wifi connected computers
    should get an address in the 10.x.x.x range from the intranet's DHCP
    server and thus be on the same network and able to see network shares, etc.

    FML, Aug 25, 2005
  7. xFiver

    xFiver Guest

    Thanks for the reply...

    I did the steps you said. The router now has an IP of 10.0.0.67 with
    DHCP off. When I plug my PC into it (wired), it gets an IP of
    10.0.0.102

    While I have internet connection (I'm using it right now), I still
    don't have access to the network. When I browse ENTIRE NETWORK, I only
    see my PC on it.

    Any other thoughts?

    xFiver, Aug 25, 2005
  8. xFiver

    xFiver Guest

    NM... I was told the solution... my problem was that I was using the
    WAN port to connect to the network. Never would have thought of
    that... For reference, here are the steps:

    1. Do not plug anything into the WAN port.
    2. Connect to the BEFW11s4 and configure the LAN IP address to be an
    unused static IP address in the office LAN range. That would be
    10.0.0.xxx or whatever. Make sure you don't pick something that's in
    the office networks DHCP range, or is duplicated.
    3. Disable the DHCP server.
    4. Connect a CAT5 cable from the office LAN switch port to one of the
    LAN ports on the BEFW11s4. Make sure the polarity is correct by
    checking the lights on the front of the BEFW11s4

    xFiver, Aug 25, 2005
  9. xFiver

    xFiver Guest

    That came out wrong... FML: thank you for your help... what you said
    was corect and was very useful... the missing link was the router port.

    xFiver, Aug 25, 2005
  10. xFiver

    FML Guest

    You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.

    FML, Aug 25, 2005
  11. xFiver

    why? Guest

    That will be the LAN side addresses of the wireless PC,
    If the office network uses DHCP then the WAN port of the router (linked
    to office network) should pick up a correct 10.0.0.x IP.

    That's what I do.

    What you have appears to be the default setup which is what I did at
    home, the WAN interface of the wireless router , connects to the LAN and
    gets a correct address 10.0.0.x. The wireless router's (& wired ports)
    default to the Belkin 192.168.x.x range. Because the Belkin routes from
    wireless client 192.168 to the LAN 10.0 those PCs can get internet
    access and file share amongst themselves.

    From what I remember (as a 1 off test as I didn't need to do this) , the
    10.0.0.x existing network PCs on the Netgear router ping the Belkin as a
    device but not the 192.168 systems on it. The 192.168 systems on the
    Belkin couldn't ping the 10.0 stuff. Or it might have been the other way
    around, in any case it was a 1 way thing.

    If however the Belink (your linksys) is reconfigured as an AP, then it's
    an extension of the existing network and uses the same addressing scheme
    and works.

    Wireless/Workgroup Bridge.
    Don't understand that rotten attitude at all.

    As one of those people, I just spent 2 days trying to solve a
    intermittent problem affecting an entire building / production line work
    (everything else always stops when there is trouble there) . Someone
    thought it was okay to add thier own router , very incorrectly
    configured to use it just as a switch. Detecting the single source in
    3000+ devices was one thing (sampling traffic over 2 days and spotting
    patterns among 100000's of frames ) and 5 minutes to find it's exact
    location and remove it. Guess what, the problem hasn't happened again
    and it took 20 minutes to give them the simple 2nd connection they
    needed.

    Then there were the clever people that didn't listen about gateway
    configuration, they sent local TV news streaming video off to the WAN
    link, via a proxy, back up the WAN link and killed it for the entire
    site. That was really bright, a 600 mile round trip for something that
    didn't need to travel more than 0.25 mile.

    Not forgetting the oh so clever engineers, buying thier own switch, 2nd
    NIC for a PC and connecting that up using private range IP addresses. Of
    course they must not have known all of the private IPs are used
    internally so there wasn't going to be a problem with them picking some
    addresses at random.

    One of the best was the broadcast floods of 1000's of copies of the
    ASCII table, another lot of smart engineers.
    PC in office area , test equipment in Lab. Several things wrong there,
    using the office PC, not a PC in the lab, which would have meant source
    / destination on the same switch. Using broadcasts to flood entire
    VLANs, at least directed multicasts would have been better, and unicast
    would have been perfect. After all they didn't want to test the LAN ,
    they wanted to stress thier test box, which isn't necessary to involve
    the entire site in thier work. They could have had thier own isolated
    network to hammer to thier hearts content.

    The number 1 place, is taking down an entire LAN for 2 hours, not even
    any of the diagnostic tools operated under the conditions generated
    then. The fix was disconnecting every building from the LAN (including
    all the other 100's of users , server rooms), find the building that
    still has the fault, then disconnect every stack to narrow down the
    location. 1 person had plugged in the same dual NIC device into a switch
    and a hub and connecting the hub to the switch to make a loop. Yet again
    it was, oh we needed another port, so we went to the local computer
    store.

    It's quite amazing what other work one can get on with, when people that
    aren't allowed and are always reminded they can't connect any equipment
    themselves don't do it.

    So far the incident reporting, loss of services to a site and fallout
    from management, time / costs to fix causes more pain for everyone
    instead of asking for help / paying for the work.
    In several cases basic things can get done as a freebie when asked
    nicely to meet the customer needs to get work done.

    All that happens from the above is nothing gets done for free, and it
    all has to be requested formally, approved, checked, evaluated etc.
    Me

    why?, Aug 25, 2005