    near (within 18") speakers for my home theater system a bad idea
    interference-wise?

    TIA

    Pegleg, May 2, 2007

  2. Hi
    If it is a huge Speakers with unshielded huge Magnet it might affect. If
    you put the Antenna above the speakers it would be OK.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 2, 2007

  3. Pegleg

    Lem Guest

    A wireless network uses radio communication -- electromagnetic waves. A
    speaker uses magnets to create sound (air pressure waves). The bigger
    and better the speaker, the bigger and stronger the magnets. The
    magnets and the electrical signals used to control them create an
    electromagnetic field.

    That said, most high quality speakers are shielded (especially speakers
    intended to be used near computers), so that the electromagnetic fields
    created by the speaker don't extend far, if at all, outside the speaker
    enclosure.

    Furthermore, the interference caused by speakers typically has more of
    an effect on TV/monitor screens (which also use magnets to control the
    display) than on wifi radios. Your wifi network is more likely to
    suffer from interference from 2.4 GHz cordless telephones, Bluetooth
    devices, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, various wireless remote
    controllers, and so on.

    The best answer is to try it out. If placing the router where you want
    to place it gives you the coverage you're looking for, then do it.
    Otherwise, you'll have to try again.

    Lem, May 2, 2007