Wireless router n00b qustion

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam Rosner, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    Afternoon

    I've got a basic question about wireless routers.

    If you have a wired network already, with a (non-wireless) router, can
    you add a wireless router as an access point only?

    My existing router is 8-port, with about 4 devices plugged into it
    already. I'd like to keep using my existing router if possible, adding
    wireless capability. Ideally I should get an access point only, but an
    AP on its own is twice as expensive as a router!

    So ideally I'd just like to hook up a port on the LAN side of my
    existing router to a port on the LAN side of the wireless router, and
    leave the WAN port on the wireless router empty.

    Is my explanation clear? And would it work??

    Adam Rosner, Jul 6, 2007

  2. Adam  Rosner

    Martin Guest

    Yes!

    Just turn off DHCP on the AP (if you already have it on the router), give
    the AP a static on the Lan subnet (Just so you can find it and manage it)

    Martin, Jul 6, 2007

  3. But just turning off DHCP would not stop the access point acting as a
    router. Which means it needs its own IP subnet, separate from the one being
    served up by the wired router. And you need a DHCP server to manage
    addresses on that subnet, so the access point might as well do that.

    Is there a way to turn off layer-3 functionality on a wireless access point
    altogether, and just have it behave as a layer-2 switch?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 6, 2007
  4. Adam  Rosner

    sam Guest

    Yeah, I can select a bridge mode on my linksys wrt54g, I don't know
    whether all wifi routers have it, but I imagine it would be a common
    setup option.

    sam, Jul 7, 2007
  5. Adam  Rosner

    sam Guest

    I use a linksys wrt54g with 3rd party firmware which allows it to be set
    as a bridge which allows that functionality, (and a lot more)

    sam, Jul 7, 2007
  6. Adam  Rosner

    Enkidu Guest

    But it would only try to route to the WAN interface and no traffic is
    going there. These devices are like a switch connected to a router. The
    WAP is routed to the switch which is then routed to the WAN interface,
    normally. The WAP traffic can use the switch to get to the other switch
    which is then routed to the other device's WAN interface.

    Anyway theoretical considerations aside I had a DSL504 (non-wireless)
    connected to the WAN/ADSL. I connected a DSLG604T (wireless) to it and
    was able to connect to the Internet via a DWL-G122 USB connected to a
    laptop. It just worked.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 7, 2007
  7. Adam  Rosner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    That is EXACTLY what I did with mine. Works fine. I use a very cheap
    dynalink.

    As far as your comment re the cost, keep looking. A basic AP should be
    cheaper than a router, but maybe times have changed. I got the router
    because it was on special, and promptly hooked into LAN and locked it down
    as much as I could once it was going. I gave it a static IP on my subnet.
    Only one of the 4 LAN ports is connected to my switch. It acts as a
    wireless bridge, and the remote wireless clients get IP addresses from my
    router.

    Dave Taylor, Jul 8, 2007
  8. It shouldn't need an IP address if it's not doing any Layer-3 stuff.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 8, 2007
  9. Adam  Rosner

    Enkidu Guest

    For the management interface, I'd guess. Though he shouldn't need it,
    except to turn DHCP off on it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 8, 2007
  10. Turning off DHCP won't be enough, as I have already explained.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 8, 2007
  11. Adam  Rosner

    Richard Guest

    I have 3 linksys wrt-54gs's running like that, and a wrt-55ag as well,
    all no worries, need an IP so I can get to it to manage it and to change
    the WPA key monthly.

    Richard, Jul 8, 2007
  12. Adam  Rosner

    Richard Guest

    Why not? What else will happen with it on the lan? Oh yeah, turn off
    uPNP as well or your machines will try to setup their port forwards on
    it (unsuccessfully)

    Richard, Jul 8, 2007
  13. Adam  Rosner

    Enkidu Guest

    It worked fine for me. DSL504 connected to a DSLG604T.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 10, 2007