    Maybe it can help some of you trying to cover some large areas with
    your routers.

    Phil AB9IL

    AB9IL, Feb 25, 2010

  2. AB9IL

    me here Guest

    The only downside is that the router yagi will concentrate the signal
    path over about 30 degrees, which greatly restricts the coverage the
    access point is able to provide.

    I have also played about with this type of antenna and you might find
    my write up of interest - refers to a $25 cheap Chinese yagi compared
    to other antenna types.

    http://users.picknowl.com.au/~gloaming_agnet/ant1.html

    Hardly worth trying to make one at that price.

    me here, Feb 25, 2010

  3. AB9IL

    u Guest

    The record was set using 2 parabolic dish reflectors, as I recall over
    100km at both ends. Dish reflectors by design I think provide the largest
    gain but are difficult to aim. I am using a homemade 1/2 parabolic to focus
    the signal onto a 5 inch wubber duckey antenna that came with my USB radio.
    Works fine, no need to purchase manufactured antennas for the home user
    just wanting to connect to the net.

    u, Feb 25, 2010
  4. AB9IL

    AnthonyL Guest

    Isn't it necessary to boost the signal of the receiving equipment as
    well, or is it sufficient that the sensitivity on the router antenna
    has been improved enough to still receive the weaker connected device?

    Thanks

    AnthonyL, Feb 26, 2010
  5. AB9IL

    seaweedsl Guest

    Antennas work for both transmit & receive, so higher gain is in both
    directions for any radios+antennas within it's field of coverage.
    Weaker or not.

    It's when you up the transmit amp alone that you get lopsided
    effects. Thus the general rule is to address weak connections with
    antenna gain not radio amps.

    Steve

    seaweedsl, Feb 26, 2010