Wireless Router Can't See Wireless Device

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by M.L., Aug 2, 2009.

  1. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I'm trying to get my wireless router to connect with my wireless ATA
    as an access point. In spite of the settings below my router's web
    page does not show the ATA as one of its connected devices, nor does
    its DHCP assign an IP to the LAN NIC connected to the ATA. After
    forcing an IP on the NIC, I can login to the ATA's web page and make
    changes. Am I missing a configuration issue that's keeping the
    wireless ATA from appearing on my router's network?

    OS: Vista32 SP2
    Router IP = 192.168.0.1 = URL of router config web page
    Router IP range = 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254
    Router DHCP = ON
    Router MAC ID filtering = OFF
    IP of Wireless ATA = 192.168.0.120 = URL of ATA config web page
    IP of LAN NIC connected to ATA = 192.168.0.10
    Wireless indicator on the ATA is ON.
    ATA SSID = same as wireless router's
    ATA SSID Broadcast flag = Enable
    ATA channel = same as wireless router's
    ATA WEP = same as wireless router's

    M.L., Aug 2, 2009

  2. M.L.

    Char Jackson Guest

    The wireless router is already functionally equivalent to an access
    point. Two access points can't connect to each other wirelessly. If
    you're trying to make this a wireless connection, one side will need
    to be configured as a client.
    Other random suggestions:
    1. If you're eventually going to have two wireless access points
    operating, choose different non-overlapping channels (such as 1,6,11)
    for each.
    2. Consider using different SSID's for each access point.
    3. Consider using one of the WPA flavors of wireless security. WEP is
    the equivalent of protecting a hot apple pie with a wet paper towel.

    Char Jackson, Aug 2, 2009

  3. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    Thank you for your prompt response. I'll try to explain and answer as
    much as I can.
    Comcast Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway CG814WG
    http://moourl.com/dpztn
    SMC Networks SMCWTVG Wireless Router/ATA
    http://moourl.com/b17wg
    Sorry I didn't make it clear but I already connect to the SMCWTVG via
    an Ethernet cable to view the SMCWTVG config web page at
    192.168.0.120.
    I'd rather not debate WEP. I don't want to turn off WEP for testing. I
    use a HEX key.
    The SMCWTVG works in one of 3 easily selectable modes: As a Router, a
    Wireless Client, or an Access Point. I want to use it only as an
    Access Point for VOIP.
    The wireless Access Point mode automatically turns off such router
    features as firewall, NAT and DHCP, essentially leaving the SMCWTVG as
    a passthrough device for VOIP. The Ethernet connection used for
    testing is supposed to get its IP from the Netgear router, not the
    SMCWTVG. However, since it's not getting an IP I'm forced to assign it
    a static one during testing. I'm trying to find out why the Netgear
    isn't handing over an IP address to my LAN connection, and why the
    SMCWTVG isn't showing up on the Netgear's config web page as a
    connected wireless device. Although the SMCWTVG has an IP
    (192.168.0.120) within the Netgear's IP range, it's acting as though
    it's not on Netgear's network. I hope this clarifies my OP.

    M.L., Aug 2, 2009
  4. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    FYI, I'm the one who uploaded my SMCWTVG manual to that website :)
    I was looking for the manual before the hardware was delivered and
    couldn't find it.
    Another poster suggested I use the Wireless Client mode. No computers
    will be attached to the SMCWTVG after testing, just an analog
    telephone, so I don't think using it as a router will be necessary.

    M.L., Aug 3, 2009
  5. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    Char, I'd like to thank both you and Jeff for your prompt and helpful
    Looks like I was barking up the wrong tree. I'll try connecting as a
    Wireless Client and let everyone know the results.
    I thought the channels had to be the same.
    I thought the SSIDs had to be the same.

    Thanks again. I'll follow those instructions and let you know what
    happens.

    M.L., Aug 3, 2009
  6. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    Ok, I set the SMCWTVG mode as a Wireless Client. Here is what the
    manual states about that mode:

    <quote>
    The configuration of wireless settings is available in Gateway Mode
    and Access Point Mode only.
    To access a wireless network in Wireless Client mode, connect your PC
    to the LAN port and then set your PC’s network connection to DHCP. In
    Wireless Client mode, the Personal Mobile Gateway acts as a DHCP
    server to assign IP address settings to one client connected on the
    LAN port. Use the default IP address, 192.168.2.1, to access the web
    management interface. Using the Setup Wizard or from the Mode Config
    page, you can then set up a connection to a nearby access point.
    </quote>

    So I changed the SMCWTVG's gateway IP to 192.168.2.1, and it connects
    to my LAN connection using DHCP. However, it knocks out my wireless
    laptop connection to the Netgear. I get my wireless Internet
    connection back only if I disable the LAN connection. Does that make
    sense?
    I can't do any of those things in Wireless Client mode since the
    wireless settings are not available in that mode. I also notice that
    the wireless indicator light is unlit in Wireless Client mode.

    M.L., Aug 3, 2009
  7. M.L.

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    Sorry to jump in on this thread.

    From one of your posts, your "wireless router" is a "Comcast Netgear
    Wireless Cable Modem Gateway CG814WG".

    I'm assuming that means that the CG814WG came from Comcast, and has a
    built-in cablemodem. So, the CG814WG needs to plug into the Comcast
    COAX on the "WAN side".

    And, set that CG814WG up as a wireless router, with the DHCP server
    enabled, and set a SID, encryption type/key, etc.

    Now, your ATA is a "SMC Networks SMCWTVG Wireless Router/ATA".

    *Physically* connect the ethernet (RJ45) port of the SMCWTG to one of
    the 4 RJ45 ports on the CG814WG using a ethernet cable, then, set the
    SMCWTVG up as an Access Point.

    For the SMCWTG's "wireless" or "LAN" side:

    - You'll need to set the SSID, encryption type/key, etc., and

    For the "WAN" side of the SMCWTG, you'll need to either:

    - Set the SMCWTG WAN side to a fixed IP above the range of IPs that the
    CG814WG DHCP server will server, or
    - Set the "WAN" side of the SMCWTG to just get an IP address from the
    CG814WG.

    Then (and I'm assuming that you have an ATA because you have a phone and
    are using VOIP), then, plug an analog phone into the analog phone port
    on the SMCWTG.

    So, what you end up with is:

    Phone ======> SMCWTG ======> CG815WG =======> Comcast coax

    That's probably the way that I'd do it, anyway.

    Here's a nice picture of the SMCWTG setup:

    http://nguyenthanhtelecom.vn/images/products/SMCWTVG-1.jpg

    In the above picture, the blue cloud labelled "Internet" is essentially
    your CG815WG, in your case.

    Now, I don't know if there is a way to connect the SMCWTG to the CG814WG
    wirelessly (i.e., with a non-cabled, wireless connection from the SMCWTG
    to the CG814WG). There may be, but I haven't worked with either of
    these products, so I don't know (I've worked with some other SMC
    equipment, and their terminology seems to be somewhat non-standard).

    I think that to do this, the SMCWTG would have to be able to function
    simultaneously as an Access Point and as a Wireless client. As I said,
    I don't know if it can do that, but maybe that's what that's what SMC
    calls "Gateway"?

    Anyway, I hope that this helps.

    Later,
    Jim

    ohaya, Aug 3, 2009
  8. M.L.

    Char Jackson Guest

    So far, so good.
    Not a bit, but probably because I don't know, or don't remember, how
    you have things connected. Obviously, it shouldn't do that, and it
    won't, once you get everything configured properly.

    It sounds like you're saying the modem/router can handle only one
    wireless connection at a time. You might make sure the DHCP scope
    isn't set for a single client, or just set a client IP manually until
    you get the other stuff figured out.
    That's ok, in Client mode you don't need to do any of those things.
    They are all done on the Access Point side of the wireless connection.
    The Client just follows what the Access Point does.

    Char Jackson, Aug 3, 2009
  9. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    No problem. I welcome new ideas. :)
    Yes to all.
    The Comcast Netgear router is located in a room upstairs while the
    SMCWTVG is in a downstairs room, so there can be no direct connection
    between the two. I bought the SMCWTVG in order to connect them
    wirelessly.
    The Wireless Client mode allows surprisingly few configuration
    changes. Basically, I can switch to 1 of 3 modes, do a Site Survey to
    find other networks, change passwords, do firmware upgrades, and set
    VOIP SIP credentials and dialing plans. All the WAN and LAN
    configurations are done in the Gateway mode, while wireless configs
    are allowed in both Gateway and Access Point mode.
    Yes, except the Netgear will have to be connected wirelessly.
    Thank you. I'll try to employ as much of everyone's advice as
    possible.

    M.L., Aug 3, 2009
  10. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    First part has been done. The other is easy enough.
    Unfortunately the Comcast Netgear web config doesn't allow the user to
    change either the default gateway IP or the IP range. I'll have to
    work with that given.
    I'll have to temporarily switch to the Gateway mode for that. The SMC
    makes that easy to do. However, I'm going to make the IP
    192.168.0.100. If that IP has to be outside of the Netgear range, I'm
    out of luck.
    I can turn off DHCP only in Gateway mode on the SMC, and I can't
    guarantee that the result will still apply to the Wireless Client
    mode.
    I'll let everyone know what happens from here.

    M.L., Aug 3, 2009
  11. M.L.

    ohaya Guest

    Now, your ATA is a "SMC Networks SMCWTVG Wireless Router/ATA".

    Hi,

    You may not be able to do that (wireless from SMC==>CG814WG) with the
    SMCWTVG (see the image I linked). I don't know for sure, because I
    haven't worked with it, but that image seems to show hardwire connection
    from the SMCWTVG to the "Internet".

    If you hardwire the SMCWTVG to the CG814WG, both "upstairs", and plug a
    cordless phone into the SMCWTVG analop phone port, that will let you use
    your phone(s) for voice wirelessly (probably want to get one of the
    newer DECT/5GHz phone systems to avoid interference).

    The only thing not good about this is that both the SMCWTVG and CG814WG
    would be physically close to each other, so you don't get to have a
    larger wireless coverage for data.

    Jim

    ohaya, Aug 3, 2009
  12. M.L.

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    P.S. Why not just call or email SMC tech support and ask them if the
    SMCWTVG can do what you're looking for, and, if so, how?

    Jim

    ohaya, Aug 3, 2009
  13. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I think you're right. I don't see an image link.

    M.L., Aug 4, 2009
  14. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I called before and they told me the SMCWTVG was too old for tech
    support.

    M.L., Aug 4, 2009
  15. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I had no success when setting the default gateway to that of the SMC
    IP or when setting it to the Netgear IP.
    I'm ready to conclude that the SMCWTVG can't connect wirelessly to
    another wireless router, and just move on. I ordered a DLink DPH-541
    WiFi SIP phone that is designed to connect with a wireless router. I
    should have better luck with that. Thanks for all your time and
    effort. It is greatly appreciated.

    M.L., Aug 4, 2009
  16. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    If you're talking about the Netgear, it can definitely connect to
    multiple wireless computers at the same time. As mentioned in other
    replies, I was not able to connect the two routers using static IPs.
    I've decided to give up on the SMCWTVG and move on to another wireless
    VOIP solution. Thanks for all your assistance and ideas Char.

    M.L., Aug 4, 2009
  17. M.L.

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    Hah :)! I guess that we're kind of in "the same boat" :(... I had just
    posted their support a question about a problem that I have with a
    different SMC device (an SMCWAPS-G), and that was the same response I
    got from them. Thanks a lot SMC :(!!

    Jim

    ohaya, Aug 4, 2009
  18. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    As a close to this thread I am happy to report that my Dlink DPH-541
    WiFi Phone arrived today and it installed and worked flawlessly. It
    immediately found my router and accepted an IP, and all I had to do
    was enter the Gizmo5 VOIP SIP info to receive free inbound calls and
    make 1.9¢/minute outbound calls, all in less than 30 minutes. I plan
    to switch my outbound carrier to Future-Nine, which charges about
    1.0¢/minute. Thanks again to all who replied.

    M.L., Aug 5, 2009
  19. M.L.

    Char Jackson Guest

    I was intrigued by your choice of WiFi phone until I started reading
    reviews. Very disappointing to see that the negative outweigh the
    positive by at least 2 to 1. Hopefully, it will work out for you.

    Char Jackson, Aug 5, 2009
  20. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I think most of those negative reviews were due to outdated firmware.
    I really don't have most of those problems mentioned. I posted a
    positive review on Amazon that is more than a year since the last
    review. At least one of the reviews (re lack of Vonage compatibility)
    is the fault of the user, not DLink (see two comments). However, I
    *am* concerned about the lack of replacement battery. Hopefully one
    will become available before mine runs out.

    M.L., Aug 5, 2009