wireless pci adapter for xp64_

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I need help,

    I just installed the xp64bit version to speed up my rendertime. The problem
    is that I use a wireless usb 2.0 adapter to connect to the router\internet
    and there is no win x64 driver support! I am using the NETGEAR WG111T usb
    2.0 adapter... works fine on my 32bit system but not on the xp64 version....

    Any suggestions?

    If there's nobody who fixed this problem I'd really like like to know what
    kind of wireless adapters you guys use on your xp64 machines.

    I searched almost every online shop to find a new wireless adapter... usb
    2.0 or pci doesn't matter... all I need is a wireless connection that
    supports windows XP 64 but I'm still not sure wich one runs on x64 machines.

    Thanks for help

    Stevie

    Guest, Jul 30, 2007

  2. You could try and figure out what chip is driving the adapter. Most all
    adapters use chips from a handful of manufacturers. Adapters that don't have
    any driver may run fine with a driver from a completely different brand,
    provided it's the same chip.

    If nothing else turns up, try visiting:

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

    there's a lot of technical information that you may have to wade through,
    but it's bound to be there - there's also a forum.

    I've found the Broadcom chips are well supported on Windows.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 30, 2007

  3. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have a PCI_e slot, the Abit AirPace Wi-Fi works great and has drivers
    for XP64 and Vista64. If not, you could check the Abit site and see if they
    have a PCI model .

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2007
  4. If you have a network card, there's a much easier (and pretty much OS
    independent) solution - use a wireless bridge device, such as the D-Link
    DGL-3420. You don't need special wireless drivers, you just need a working
    network card. And it does both 802.11a and 802.11g, with WPA-PSK support for
    security.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 30, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Another fine "driverless" tip from Charlie.
    Adding this one to the original...
    1.- External Modem connected to COM port
    2.- PCL printer to the network
    :)
    Carlos

    Guest, Jul 30, 2007
  6. Guest

    miso Guest

    Better yet, use a postscript printer.

    miso, Jul 30, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jul 30, 2007
  8. better yet, use one that does both. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 31, 2007
  9. Guest

    miso Guest

    Actually, that is what I did. Postcript comes in handy for linux
    software. Yeah, I know about ghostscript, but there ain't nothing like
    the real thing, baby.

    miso, Jul 31, 2007
  10. yes, that's why all my printers have done both for a while. That plus either
    a network card or a good TCP/IP print server device makes it so much simpler
    to work with Windows, Linux, UNIX, or whatever beta you happen to be working
    on. ;) And I've more than once been dealing with 3 or more beta operating
    systems at the same time, with limited driver support.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 31, 2007