    to get to the right place - can anyone help???
    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Ed

    Sooner Al Guest

    Use the name of your PC... Example for my XP Pro box "Ashtabula"...

    \\Ashtabula

    This presumes you have shares setup on the desktop PC...

    Please post questions concerning PocketPC wireless issues to the microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless
    or microsoft.public.pocketpc news groups...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Thanks, Al, tried that, but it doesn't seem to have worked, I can still
    access the internet, and the emails, but the network does not work - do you
    think there'll be an update for networking from Microsoft??

    Ed, Oct 1, 2004
  4. Ed

    Sooner Al Guest

    Any error messages?
    Any personal firewall software running on the PC that may be blocking File & Print Sharing?
    What PocketPC are you using?

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Oct 1, 2004
  5. Ed

    Ed Guest

    No error messages, just stopping!
    Pocket PC is Toshiba e-740 - which I find is really good at everything else!
    It's Microsoft Pocket PC - Version 3.1.11171. I am running ZoneAlarm Pro,
    and probably Windows Firewall as well. I'll try knocking them off for a
    moment while I try the network again!
    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 1, 2004
  6. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Nope, that didn't work - it has to be something else along the lines of the
    network names, and computer names - is there a way of searching from the
    Pocket PC?
    I know they are browsable from elsewhere, because my laptop can access the
    folders over the network connection.
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 1, 2004
  7. Ed

    Sooner Al Guest

    Make real sure the firewalls are disabled...That's what the problem sounds like to me...

    Things to try...

    Since you can ActiveSync wirelessly then I presume NetBIOS is enabled over TCP/IP.... I also presume
    you can ping the PC your trying to access shares on by both name and IP...

    http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html

    Pocket Hosts by Marc Zimmerman...It maps an IP to an alias for addressing purposes...

    http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm

    No, no way to browse for the PocketPC in Network Neighborhood for example. The only way to access
    the PocketPC from the desktop is via ActiveSync Explorer while in an ActiveSync session (cradle or
    wired/wireless).

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Oct 1, 2004