    closer to where I would need the wireless connection.
    How can this be done and what hardware would I require?
    TIA

    ripper, Oct 19, 2003

  2. ripper

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You need a wireless access point that plugs into your router and a wireless
    nic for your laptop.

    pcbutts1, Oct 19, 2003

  3. ripper

    Harrison Guest

    The DG814 has 4 integrated ports. This means you should still have an
    opened port on the router? If not, use a small switch to split one of
    the existing ones, preferably the least used or the one your laptop
    uses when connected via cable.

    Purchase a wireless access point (see TIPS for information on speeds
    vs. range)
    You'll also need a wireless card for your laptop. Obviously, this
    should match the chosen standard of the AP.

    Depending on the layout of the house and the yard, you may or may not
    have to locate the access point on the opposite end of the house as
    the router. Try it close to the router first. If you get a good signal
    in the locations you prefer, then you're done. If not, then string
    CAT5 from the router end of the house to the preferred end and connect
    the access point there.

    A good free app to test signal strength is Boingo.
    http://www.boingo.com/download.html

    It will "listen" for any wireless signal and report the strength to
    you in an easy to use interface.
    Once you have the wireless access point installed and you have good
    signal when near it, use your laptop and boingo to roam around and
    test the strength in various locations.

    TIPS:
    Locate the access point nearer to a window for better outdoor
    signaling.
    Secure the wireless LAN by restricting access by MAC address allowing
    only the MAC address of your wireless card.
    Do not use the default channel and encryption settings!
    WEP is OK, but it is not something that can't be cracked fairly easily
    by someone who wants to see your data.
    802.11g will be faster, but has less effective range.
    802.11b will be plenty fast for surfing and light to moderate file
    sharing and data transfer at speeds up to 11 mb.

    Harrison
    Skype:windowshelp

    Harrison, Oct 19, 2003