    simply coordinate with my neighbors on which channels we should use to
    avoid overlap, but that seems rather impossible. It's getting to the
    point where I may try to put up foil on all my walls.

    Dan, Mar 25, 2010

  2. Dan

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Possibility adie that'll be illegal.
    How about moving upto -a band(5 GHz one)

    Tony Hwang, Mar 25, 2010

  3. Not to promote illegal use of devices, and your consequences if caught, but
    some routers and NIC cards support frequencies used by other countries if
    the device or driver is told to use them. See if the box has an option to
    specify country and you might be in business.

    For more specific information you will need to do a little searching using a
    search engine like Google or Yahoo.

    Realistically, switching to a fully compliant "N" system, router and NIC
    cards should remove the problem due to the increased channels and power
    available.

    GlowingBlueMist, Mar 25, 2010
  4. Dan

    Bob K Guest

    Keep in mind the reason your router is restricted to certain frequencies
    is there are other legitimate users on the frequencies you propose to use.

    If I were using something on one of those frequencies, and you were to
    decide to move in on it, I would be real upset.

    Are your neighbor's use of a channel really bothering you? My next door
    neighbor can run on the same channel I do and not interfere -- both
    routers seem to sort things out without conflict.

    Try running a ping test between one of your computers and the router
    using different channels. Pick a channel that gives you the least
    packet loss. You might want to do this at different times, just in case
    there is someone doing some real heavy wireless activity at times.

    Maybe you need to relocate your router to a more favorable location --
    so it presents a stronger signal to your other wireless devices.

    And, finally, if you are running Windows, look for a nice little free
    utility called 'inSSIDer' that will help you see what is going on as far
    as frequency congestion.

    ....Bob

    Bob K, Mar 25, 2010